Favorite Soft or Changable Tip Tool?

Discuss all aspects of paintless dent repair, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
NWPhotog

Favorite Soft or Changable Tip Tool?

Post by NWPhotog »

Hi

I am just wondering what other PDR Techs find their favorite tool to be. I am especially interested in soft tip tools because it would seem they have a huge potential to speed up work and limit tap down time. Thanks!
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Favorite Soft or Changable Tip Tool?

Post by screenman »

I do not have a soft tip, however I do have rubber tips to fit most of my bars, failing that I use tape. As of lately I have even been using heat shrink tubing on my flat bars. Spreading the load certainly allows you to push more metal without problems, however as you know you can still high spot with a soft tip.

How long you been pushing dents?
NWPhotog

Post by NWPhotog »

Pretty new but loving it.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Are you trying to self train or have you been to a trainer/mill or other.
NWPhotog

Post by NWPhotog »

Honestly self train. I know that a good trainer is ideal but am afraid that kind of concentrated training would be lost on me. Now If I could spend a day with a trainer and then go practice for a week and come back for another day every week over 3 months or so that would work. I leaned long ago their is more than one successful path to any worthwhile destination.
NWPhotog

Post by NWPhotog »

PS Screenman Do you have any favorite or go to tools? Thanks! :)
screenman

Post by screenman »

I would say the best investment you should makeis in buying a light from DDC Tools, investing in that then I suppose Dentcraft are good. I have most of my tools made in the UK to my own designs. But remember at the end of the day it is not the tool but the tool holding the tool that does the repair.

Going without training is a major mistake and a huge waste of time, PDR guys earn money plenty of it, the quicker you are up and running the quicker you are earning.

Funny you should mention the day and then practise then another day etc. This is much the same apart from mine are 2 days at a time that I have pioneered over here and it works well, as long as the guy sets aside at least 15 hours a week for practise, any less and do not bother.

If I sound harsh it is because I am being honest.
NWPhotog

Post by NWPhotog »

Not harsh, good advice. I also agree with those looking to change fields diving in. The down side is only a small percentage (10-20%?) ultimately succeed from what I hear. I would guess many that put the money into training really can't afford that gamble. In my own case I have a successful business and getting 2 weeks or more off is impossible. I think your 2 days of training then practice a week schedule is wise. I haven't heard of any one else doing that. For me I have to follow the path that is right for me. I am not suggesting it is right for any one else.
screenman

Post by screenman »

have a look at the PDR Coach video's the basic training one would be a good investment, I would say less than 1% yes 1% get to earn a living from PDR after training at some places.