Lights and Fog Boards

Discuss all aspects of paintless dent repair, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Coitster »

Hey Everyone,
I know there are lots of guys who use Lights to read dents, and others that use Fog Boards for outside usage. I personaly was trained on a light. I have tried to use a fog board, however using it outside I am not sure what placement is the best (so used to that light). Do I want the sun to my back or do I want the sun behind the fog board? I tried using the fog board on the otherside of the car (away from the sun) and I couldn't tell where my metal was pinching when I was pushing. Mabee its because again I use to using the light and not the fog board. What am I doing wrong??? Thanks for any replies.
David
Coitster
Glass
dentmedic

Post by dentmedic »

Your board should be as bright as possible, so you want it in the sun.
Your panel to be repaired needs to be shaded.

Place the board high ( as in 90 degrees to panel ) to see your tool tip.
Place the board low to see depth of the dent.

Be careful when placing any board or light close to your dent 9 say 2" -12" as you can easily push much farther than it appears.

Jason
Coitster

Post by Coitster »

Oh my,
I made a new fog board today..... WOW it works awsome. :shock:
I went down to the local music store and bought a cymbel stand for $70 bucks and then I also went do a fast signes and had them cut me a peice of 12 x 18 translucent white plastic. Then I went and got some black flat spray paint and make my 3 inch line with some over spray around it. I went and put some halogen blubs behind it for lighting. All I can say is WOW, this this rocks, :shock: I can see the dent like I never could in the light.

My good friend KDP who I finaly got to meet at Mobile Tech Expo showed me this. I like the cymbel stand because I don't have to use a suction cup and I can ajust the fog board to any angle I like. Thanks So much Keith for showing me this. BTW I also got a translucent yellow fog board to but I like the white better since I am used to reading a light. :)
I highley recommend this for anyone doing PDR mobile.
David
Coitster
Glass
srgreg1

Re: Lights and Fog Boards

Post by srgreg1 »

I wish there was a picture of this. I think I can ******** this, but a picture would help.