Hi is it true that people that do pdr 99% dont make it?

Discuss all aspects of paintless dent repair, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
repairing windshields

Hi is it true that people that do pdr 99% dont make it?

Post by repairing windshields »

I was just reading a post on here and someone said that 400 people that get into it only 3-4 people make it? Is it hard training or cant get business? I have a banner and was wondering if I can do pdr in the parking lot? any ideas would be great. thanks
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Hi is it true that people that do pdr 99% dont make it?

Post by t4k »

I don't do PDR but I have a friend who has been in the business for 25 years. He did his (5) years of apprenticeship under a man who had twice that experience.

It is not a trade for someone with a banner and a dream. I'm not trying to be mean but you can cause thousands of dollars of body damage if mess up a body panel or two on a customer's car.
repairing windshields

What if I went though all the training and did the repair at there house? Is that a good idea?
t4k wrote:I don't do PDR but I have a friend who has been in the business for 25 years. He did his (5) years of apprenticeship under a man who had twice that experience.

It is not a trade for someone with a banner and a dream. I'm not trying to be mean but you can cause thousands of dollars of body damage if mess up a body panel or two on a customer's car.
screenman

Post by screenman »

I have been doing PDR quite a while and I also train guys, it is not easy to learn. I would certainly say in some places those numbers are correct, it takes months of practise and dedication to even be able to do simple dents well. The first thing I do when people approach me about PDR training is tell them how hard it is and suggest they try WSR first, have a look at the doording.com website and ask the same question, you will certainly get many answers.
repairing windshields

sounds good will I be able to get business? I mean like windshield repair I paid my sign and kits off in 5 months, is this the same way if I start telling them I do pdr?
screenman

Post by screenman »

did you take my advice and ask on the doording site.
just chippen away
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by just chippen away »

EEEEE HHHHAAAA. Gun ho to make some doe.
Slow down there repairing windshields and take what Screenman is saying in.

I have talked to other PDR techs and they even say it takes a long while to get it down before you can make decent money. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

I have a few tools I have bought thinking about getting into PDR my self and using our personal cars as test car with all the dents in them already. But I can not find the time needed to get deep enough to learn. I have some DVD's and training manuals from others, but have not even really looked at them.... I just have to many irons in the coals at this time. I am going to have to wait till I have more time to learn PDR... I do know my limits.

This is not like fixing W/S's or H/L's. It is more like rocket science.
You can get 1 week training, but you will only know a weeks worth of training.... I see hacks and good PDR's, Ask them both how much time they have invested and training dollars.
Just Chippen Away
coachfrank

Post by coachfrank »

repairing windshields wrote:I was just reading a post on here and someone said that 400 people that get into it only 3-4 people make it? Is it hard training or cant get business? I have a banner and was wondering if I can do pdr in the parking lot? any ideas would be great. thanks
This is my 14 th year in PDR .Find some one good at PDR and ask him if he would train you .The cost can range from Pdr man to Pdr man .Southern California has alot of schools.But Dent Magic also sales tools and trains people.I do buy some of there tools nice folks. This is also my 20 th year in WSR .I enjoy PDR more .I enjoy the challenge.
Good luck .Practice practice practice.Coach Frank