Tips for Successful PDR Repair..

Discuss all aspects of paintless dent repair, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
johnymunch

Tips for Successful PDR Repair..

Post by johnymunch »

Let us discuss some tips for doing successful PDR. First is to be done by a skilled and well trained person. Second the use of proper tools.
jimmymaguire

Re: Tips for Successful PDR Repair..

Post by jimmymaguire »

Hi johny,

The general methods of paintless dent repair utilize metal rods and body picks to push the dents out from the under side of the body panel. Additionally, glue and a specially designed tab may be used from the outside of the panel to pull the dents out. In either case, fine-tuning of the repair often involves "tapping" down the repair to remove small high spot (master techs will not need to tap), or shrink the metal, making the surface flat. Paintless Dent Repair may be used on both aluminum and steel panels. If a technician pushes too hard when creating these high spots,as known as tits the paint will split and crack and the paint is ruined which means it will need to be touched up or the panel will now need to be painted(Master techs will not crack or chip your paint 99% of the time, although if the paint is not in good condition or the metal is cold it can crack and even the very best tech can not stop this from happening. When damage is too great but it's still worth it to insurance company or tech they will do something called push to paint which involves them pushing it to be flat and the paint almost always crack but this is okay because the body shop is going to repaint those panels anyway. It save time and money doing it this way. Quality technicians can use these high spots(NOTE: That a with a quality tech there should be no high spots that are very visble at all) that are barely visible to match the texture of the paint.
Mariagilbert
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Mariagilbert »

In most circumstances, this procedure involves the use of specialized tools to apply pressure to the backside of the panel to remove surface imperfections. Damage may also be repaired by bonding a "tab" or other device to the exterior of the panel and pulling the dent from the topside. By using either of these techniques, the technician is able to restore panel appearance, thus eliminating the need for refinishing the panel's surface area.
Mariagilbert

Post by Mariagilbert »

jimmymaguire wrote:Hi johny,

The general methods of paintless dent repair utilize metal rods and body picks to push the dents out from the under side of the body panel. Additionally, glue and a specially designed tab may be used from the outside of the panel to pull the dents out. In either case, fine-tuning of the repair often involves "tapping" down the repair to remove small high spot (master techs will not need to tap), or shrink the metal, making the surface flat. Paintless Dent Repair may be used on both aluminum and steel panels. If a technician pushes too hard when creating these high spots,as known as tits the paint will split and crack and the paint is ruined which means it will need to be touched up or the panel will now need to be painted(Master techs will not crack or chip your paint 99% of the time, although if the paint is not in good condition or the metal is cold it can crack and even the very best tech can not stop this from happening. When damage is too great but it's still worth it to insurance company or tech they will do something called push to paint which involves them pushing it to be flat and the paint almost always crack but this is okay because the body shop is going to repaint those panels anyway. It save time and money doing it this way. Quality technicians can use these high spots(NOTE: That a with a quality tech there should be no high spots that are very visble at all) that are barely visible to match the texture of the paint.
Thank You for these beautiful insights.. :ugeek:
schotz1

Post by schotz1 »

I have tried PDR several times and have had several PDR pros try and help me. I can get the dents about 80+ percent. The advice I keep getting most often is #1 clock the dent out. Start on the outer edge and work in a circular area slowly working tward the center. #2 Don't try to push too much too fast #3 Practice practice practice. PDR is very tedious. Most PDR pros work at it over a week all day with a instructor over their shoulder before they feel like they can go out in the feild and several years before they call themselves " GOOD " It's not a trait that you can dabble in you have to jump in with both feet and be prepared to spend some time educating yourself
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

I would call myself proficient, but after 20 years I should be. I release then tension in a dent first, which does not mean clocking it, no wonder you are having problems.

Centre first and spiral out, on most small dents. Of course that is after you have tackled any crown work that may exist.