Finishing a dent

Discuss all aspects of paintless dent repair, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
alpine578

way to go drfixachip

Post by alpine578 »

Can anyone give any good advice for finishing the dent, I went for training in November and ever since have had trouble finishing off the dent. I can get about 95-99%, but there is always that last little bit that you can see, but no one else notices. Do you just leave them go, or do something special to finish. I'm afraid to push too hard and leave a high spot.!
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Great results for Gary

Post by Coitster »

First off move your light farther away, or use a straight edge from farther away. There were times when I was using my light and I thought the dent was gone and then I looked at it using a light from much, much further away and would see the dent. Would drive me nuts because I thought I had gotten rid of it. Just remember to look at it from different angles. And practice, practice, and more practice. :)
David
Coitster
Glass
details3

Post by details3 »

I just joined this forum since I also offer windshield repair with my PDR.

I personally use a tool with a pencil tip to get that last little dip out. I am still a beginner, but slowly picking up tips and tricks. I also agree with looking at a dent from different directions and more than one light source. Coitster is right on the money with looking at a dent from different angles. I have two practice hoods that get a lot of banging.
Love to make cars shine!
uk-Dent-Solutions

Re: Finishing a dent

Post by uk-Dent-Solutions »

Hi all

All you need to do is flat polish to remove that last little bit!
screenman

Post by screenman »

Flat and polish, horrible, it removes the orange peel effect in the paint and on many colours can look horrible. Try getting the last little bit out first, in other words work the middle of the dent up first, or first in first out. I know this ounds harsh but practise more it will come. When finishing a dent you want the light or board as far away and as low to the panel as practical and your eye also close to the panel. Flat and polish is a useful tool in the correct circumstances and can help you see back into a lumpy dent, I would feel it correct to put some orange peel back in once I have flat and polished.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
fix a chip

Post by fix a chip »

First in first out, So do you mean you push the deepest part of the dent first?

How long you been doing dents? :?
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

fix a chip wrote:First in first out, So do you mean you push the deepest part of the dent first?

How long you been doing dents? :?

You are quite sad................. changing your name and location on here to hide your identity and following a certain member over several forums to try and ridicule him is pathetic. You obviously have insecurities that you need to deal with and you really should keep it off the forums as it's getting boring. Most members of the PDR forum actually had a u turn on the 2 day training which made you look a bit silly. Keep this vendetta up and you will eventually alianate yourself from the rest of the world.

People are starting to talk and are labeling you that you are a very jealous and bitter man of others achievements.

Happy Birthday by the way.

Spec
fix a chip

Post by fix a chip »

"changing your name and location on here to hide your identity "

Been on here with the same name since 2006!

Not sure what you are on about :?:
fix a chip

Post by fix a chip »

Also, you have only 1 post and have added nothing to this forum!

Have you just come on here to post a message to me, why not pm me if you have a problem.

First in first out is not always the way a dent should be removed. Sometimes it may be possible! Every tech has their own methods and ways of removing a dent.

If you have a large dent, the last place you push is the first area of impact! Ask any PDR tech. May I ask how long you have been doing PDR>?
screenman

Post by screenman »

Certainly you may ask how long I have been pushing dents, I have documented proof I was working dents back in 1997 and I was certainly messing about with them before that date. Please note documented proof not hearsay.

I also agree with your statement on not starting every dent from the centre, also the fact that every tech has his own methods. I must say for the smaller style dents that most new guys should be practising then I prefer the centre first method as shown by a lot of trainers.

I think the previous poster might be stating that in earlier posts you say that you have an Ipswich postcode and now you are saying you come from Essex. Maybe Alan we have got it wrong.

You have followed me around the internet chat rooms and unfortunately have libeled me a couple of times. This again I have proof of not guess work.

I ask you to please respect what you say or insinuate about me in future.

I admire your determination to keep the skill levels high in your chosen trade.