What do you ride

The Windshield Repair Forum water cooler for topics that do not belong in another forum. Feel free to put your feet up, relax, and get to know each other!
Flip2620

Re: What do you ride

Post by Flip2620 »

Since the thread's been revived, I'll throw in. I've got a 2005 Kawi Vulcan Nomad, and a 98 Kawi Vulcan Classic. I moved from Detroit to SC in May, so that I could get more time to ride. Started the season April 18th with 17900 miles on the Nomad, she's got 31200 today. Not a bad season so far, but I haven't been working, so no 80 mile round trip commute to add to the miles. The locals all tell me that late Dec, Jan, and early Feb can be a bit chilly here, when I tell em that I used to ride down to 15 degrees in Mich, they let me know I can ride year round :).

That begs the question, since I'm only starting with headlight restoration, what do you guys think about showing up on a bike. Too frowned upon?
ChipStop

Post by ChipStop »

I ride a 2005 sportster 1200 screamin' eagle. I used to ride a BMW RS1100. It was a nice bike, but I always felt I was riding too high in the air. I like my harley, except for the small gas tank.
adam@gtglass
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by adam@gtglass »

I'm saving up for a Trumpet... Looking hard at the Daytona 675 (It's a triple!) and the old standby GSX-R from Suzuki; either the 600 or 750.

I used to ride dirtbikes. It all started with an old Yamaha Enduro 175 (metal gas tank, leather seat, with a cafe racer look...)

Then I moved on to a CR 250, which admittedly was a little too tall and heavy for me when I was fifteen. Still entered a few "Sunday races" with it though...

Always wanted a street bike, I'm also considering the Triumph Speed Triple 675, a naked bike similar to the Daytona.

I blame my roommate and neighbors for rekindling my desire for a bike...

We'll see what happens in the Spring...
Adam D. Duthie
Glass Technology, Inc.
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

I really want to get a Yamaha FZ1, but my wife is going to take a little bit of convincing. Someday...!
I love riding dirt bikes. Had an old XR 250 that I thought would run forever, until the day the valves were bent. Now I'm in the market for a YZ 250.
SAFEWINDOW

Post by SAFEWINDOW »

Hey guys,
Just got back into riding last year. After being away from it for 20 odd years I thought I wouldn't miss it, but I did...alot. I wasn't sure what I was missing, the "my-time", the freedom, or my skin on my bones and not on the pavement! I was that guy who could dump it at 10 mph, sand in a corner, an oil lake in a newly blacktopped turn lane, and my favorite...diesel fuel in a concrete turn lane (looked like water). Man, I thought God was telling me 4 wheels, 4 wheels. I sold the bike (tricked sleeper 74 honda 754). Crazy thing was, I could ride full throttle on my dirt bike (76 suz rm370) all day and never dump. Sold that too. Had many bikes over the years, but the honda was my fav at the time.
Well now I'm older, and hopefully a little wiser. My kids a mostly grown and I have more free time. After searching quite awile for a used bike, I stumbled on a great deal, a 94 Kawi VN1500 that was babied. They're nicknamed bubf's, big-ugly-but-fast. Could use a fifth gear though. Later models have it.
Just so happened that on the day I bought it, the laws in Florida changed. You now have to take a rider training course before you can get a Dl endorsment. Well, God was having a chat with me again...training for 2 wheels, training for 2 wheels....or maybe it was training wheels, training wheels! It was the best thing I could of ever done. I would recommend it to even seasoned riders. Two days and 240 bucks lighter, I learned that I didn't know jack about riding. At least what I thought I knew!
As for riding in south Florida, boring with sudden instants of terror, flat straight roads full of 85yo drivers with hoverounds attached to the back of their cars (no kidding). After a couple of blue hair induced, high speed swerving brake tests, I installed a new horn that will blast the batteries out of the best of hearing aids. 35 bucks, 2 hrs and 118 decibels. I bought a Wolo Big Boy electric air horn. They make a chrome one for bikes, but the chromes a little cheesy. I bought the regular and painted it flat BBQ black. Now when I see em' coming, a little blast and they know i'm there.
I hope to trailer up to NC later in the year for a little camping / riding.
Thats my story. Thanks for letting me share a little about myself.
GLASSTIME

Post by GLASSTIME »

What the Heck!,

I have a 81' Yammy xs650 this bike was bought brand new by my father when I was a youngster. I remember riding on the back of that bike so much.My father passed her down to me back in 2000.
Year before last I got really into Hardtailing her out... Yeah my fathers mouth dropped! Mine too afterwards. I somewhat regret it but then again she's a beauty! Solo seat, maxxis wide white wall tires, sportster tank, raked 34 degrees, stretched down tubes, goosenecked, drag pipes (She's Loud)
Still runs like a charm! Ok so that's the bike to just have REBEL fun on LOL!
I recently purchased a 2007 Electra Glide. My father has a 1978 GL1000 Honda Goldwing now and we usually ride together. Always loved bikes I'm not really loyal to any brand but I will say the best bikes are built and not bought! Just my personal opinion!
Chad E. Clewis
President
GLASSTIME Windshield Repair & Headlight Restoration

"Its What You Put Into It That Counts"
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

The XS650 is a great bike. I bought an 81 XS1100 that I had a lot of fun with when I was 21. I also have an 82 Kawasaki CSR750 twin that is very much like the XS750, but the Kawasaki never got as popular as the Yamaha. It had about 500 miles on it when I bought it and now over 20 years later still only has 10K and is riding on the second set of tires. I gave it to my son, but when his mom quit riding earlier this year I traded him for her 2001 750 Shadow ACE that's easier to get part for and better for cruising. As much as I hate to see it go I'm gonna sell the Kawi. I just don't ride it any more and think it should either be ridden or in a museum somewhere. It still looks and rides like new. I thought about chopping it but it's just too nice of an original bike to mess with it.

My dad and I did a lot of trail riding together when I was a kid and talked about taking a road trip together when I got older but we both got busy and that never happened. I try to ride with my son whenever I can but he is too busy chasing girls to hang out with the old man much these days. Chip off the old block I guess.

Speaking of riding I think I will get out of here while there is still a little daylight and take the long way home. What a great way to wind down at the end of the day.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
CraigVM62

Post by CraigVM62 »

As an avid rider / collector of bikes, I only hope a thread on such would include a photo or two. Hopefully others will follow. Here are a few of mine.

ImageImage Image
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Is that a Bandit on the right? That's an amazing all around bike that is under appreciated and you can pick them up cheap, but I guess I'm not telling you anything. I'm guessing the one on the left is a CBR900 which is another great bike? What is the center one?

I'll get around to posting pics one of these days but I need to go through and make them smaller before uploading.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
CraigVM62

Post by CraigVM62 »

Brent,
You have a good eye. Yes it is a 2002 GSF1200 Bandit. A couple of decades ago, it's engine was the king of the streets, yet today most sports bikes with half of it's displacement put more HP to the ground. Tons of torque though and much more comfortable riding position so it gets as much riding time as anything else I own. My daughter learned to ride on it back when she was 15 which is why that is my favorite bike photo. Very close on the Honda which is a 2002 CBR 954RR with a Wolf under seat exhaust conversion. Center is my pride and joy 2007 MV Agusta F4 1000 midlife crisis purchase :D I had planned on making it to your Aug. 21 training course but work schedule is getting in the way. If the weather is permitting, I could trailer some bikes down for your Sept 18th class if you might be able to break away after the class for some road time.

Would love to see photo's from others. I especially enjoy the bikes from the early 80's which is when I learned to ride. Todays paint and plastic has nothing on the classic looks from back then.