What do you ride

The Windshield Repair Forum water cooler for topics that do not belong in another forum. Feel free to put your feet up, relax, and get to know each other!
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: What do you ride

Post by Brent Deines »

My son would be ashamed of me for not recognizing the Agusta as I think that is one of his all time favorite bikes. He is also the one who turned me on to the Bandits as they are more in his price range, but I want him to have a bit more time in the saddle before he trades in his Shadow. Although the Bandit is not a rocket by today's standards, it is a lot more bike than the 750 cruisers he has been riding.

I've been trying to find a photo of my 81 Yamaha 1100 Special as it was my first street bike, but I was only 21 in 1981 and didn't think much about taking photos. I did however find the original brochure that came with the bike when I purchased it. I'm also including a photo of my first ride, a 1970 Artic Ssscat that my parents bought for me when I was 10. I'll try to get some photos of my 82 Kawasaki. I didn't buy it new but I have had it for 22 years and I gave it to my son for his first street bike. When his mom quit riding this year I traded him her Shadow for the Kawasaki as the Shadow is better for long distance cruising.

I'd love to go riding with you. I wish you could have made it to the training this month as I am planning a 2 day ride to Mt. St. Helens on the back roads the day after the class. I'm not sure what my schedule is like in September, but give me a call a couple of weeks before the class and I'll see if I can block out some time. We have a lot of really nice riding within minutes of our office, although you will probably get tired of waiting for me in the twistys. The Harley is not exactly the perfect cornering machine!

Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

My wife and I used to ride this bike double, but now I barely fit on the seat all by myself. 10,000 original miles and one of the best bikes I ever owned. It hasn't been ridden in a couple of months but fired right up last night. I felt like I was riding a mini bike but had a ball tooling around town on it. 1982 Kawasaki CSR 750 twin. I keep saying I'm going to sell it but then I take a spin and it goes back in the garage.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
CraigVM62

Post by CraigVM62 »

I am bummed that I can not view photo's posted by others yet, getting that "Your Not Worthy" message Image
Guess I need to start reading less and posting more.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Sorry, I always forget that you can't view photos on the site until you have 10 posts. Korey had my back and made a change to allow everyone to be able to see the photos I submitted.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
CraigVM62

Post by CraigVM62 »

You sure have done an amazing job of keeping that bike looking like it just rolled off the showroom floor.
I know what your saying about wishing there were a few more pictures out there to help bring back those first Bike & Car memories.
This is the only photo I have ever been able to find of my first bike. Taken by my mother while saying something like " Your gonna kill yourself on that thing"

I am sure glad that my ideas of proper protective riding gear has improved as the years went by.

Last thing you would have to worry about is not keeping pace with me in the twisties. Any itch I have for speed & knee dragging gets scratched on track days.
On public roads I have had my share of HD's and Goldwings pass me. No need to rush the experience of enjoying the road.
Eco Steam

Post by Eco Steam »

2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000 with a few $K upgrades and mods!

It's a Rocket........and it CAN and WILL get away from you if you don't know what you're doing!

The bike is different than whats in the pics below, I've done several other mods since these were taken.......

JJH
adam@gtglass

Post by adam@gtglass »

Whew, nice bike J.

I'd like to get there, but I'm thinking more along the lines of the Gixxer six or 750 1st... if I can't afford the Trumpet...

Literbikes are probably not the most logical jump from my experience with dirtbikes... I'd get into trouble. I think I *could* handle the bike, and control the power, but I'd probably want to push that envelope too soon.
Adam D. Duthie
Glass Technology, Inc.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I think it's a lot easier for a good dirt rider to ride street than the other way around. Even if you are not a great rider In the dirt you learn to slide, use both brakes, ride wheelies, ride front tire slides, constant evasive and corrective maneuvers, etc. You also learn the value of protective clothing as no self respecting dirt rider goes without a crash from time to time. A lot of street riders never experience any of those things unless they are in an emergency situation, and in my opinion a crotch rocket is not the bike to learn all of these things on.

I went from a 250 dirt bike to an 1100 street bike when I was 19 and had no problem managing the power but I have had friends who consider themselves good street riders who have torn my dirt bikes to pieces trying to do things they had never tried before. When I moved up to a 420 dirt bike it bucked me off a few times before I got used to the power band as the difference between that and a 250 was pretty unbelievable.

No matter how good you are a little gravel or an animal on the road is going to take you down if you are going just a little too fast into the corners, so Craig has the right idea. Save the knee dragging and tricks for the track and the dirt, and take it easy on the roads regardless of the bike you ride. We don't want to be scraping anyone off the pavement. JMHO
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Ricersux

Post by Ricersux »

I ride a Harley Davidson Nightster....

-Eric
CLEARVU INC.
Indianapolis, Indiana
GLASSTIME

Post by GLASSTIME »

Brent,

As promised I wanted to post the Ol Yammy I custom built and ride till this day. This used to be my fathers bike and I remember when he bought it brand new! Let me know what you think!
Attachments
yamaha 650 chopped.jpg
yamaha 650 chopped.jpg (58.91 KiB) Viewed 90 times
Chad E. Clewis
President
GLASSTIME Windshield Repair & Headlight Restoration

"Its What You Put Into It That Counts"