The English Language

The Windshield Repair Forum water cooler for topics that do not belong in another forum. Feel free to put your feet up, relax, and get to know each other!
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

The English Language

Post by Glasseye »

Recently one of my posts was edited because I used a word which was described as "vulgar" . Now today Facebook have censored one of their UK users for using a word which they describe as being homophobic ( as reported in the Daily Mail ), it is in fact, the name of a UK culinary dish and was being used in that context. I think if US forum sites are promoting worldwide access for contributions and discussions they should be aware that the meanings of words do vary across the planet and should be taken into account when considering censorship.
Hawaii Guy

Re: The English Language

Post by Hawaii Guy »

Hi Glasseye
I am surprised that there has never been a response to your post. I feel you deserve an explanation.
Although we speak English in the US, it is very different than that spoken in the UK. We have changed so many meanings of the intended words we use that it is hard for us to keep up. For example, when I was a young man words like Coke, Gay, Sick, Dope, Radical, Insane all had different meanings than they do today. The Gay 90'S was a term used to describe the 1890's and completely different from the 1990's. Then we get to the era of "Political Correctness". This is when Americans became sensitive to words even if the original words were very descriptive they sometimes hurt someone's feelings. I remember "Men Working" signs on the roads but when women entered that field they slowly changed the signs to "Work Ahead". Now, for a small amount of the Political Correctness theory I understand it but as a whole I do not and will not subscribe to it. I am just too darn old (63). What has evolved is that Americans have lost their sense of humor, Now it seems that we can even not laugh at ourselves. Truth be told, we are all a little goofy.
Bottom line, I am sure you had good intentions but the moderator was just doing his job and trying to spare sensitive feelings from being hurt. I always look forward to the comments from you as well as your UK brethren. You guys are insightful and helpful.
the big welshman

Post by the big welshman »

Sirs Been an expat living and working in the US there are different wording and spelling between the UK and US were a person can get into trouble with the meanings for the words for example a RUBBER meaning in the US a condom UK meaning an eraser- A line US A queue UK-- check US cheque UK A truck US A Lorry UK :? :? :? :?
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Fanny Pack US, Bum Bag UK. :lol:
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.