Drilling toenails - Don't try this at home

The Windshield Repair Forum water cooler for topics that do not belong in another forum. Feel free to put your feet up, relax, and get to know each other!
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Drilling toenails - Don't try this at home

Post by Brent Deines »

From time to time we hear from customers who use our resins for completely un-windshield repair related repairs, some of them being odd and interesting, however seldom do we hear of a windshield repair technician using our drill burs for anything other than windshield repair...other than in our own office that is. Awhile back the granddaughter of one of our sales reps smashed a toe in a sporting event and was complaining about the pain caused by the pressure of the blood that had built up under the toenail. Being the problem solver that he is Bruce decided to drill a hole in the toenail using a Dremel drill and a carbide bur and it worked perfectly! So when I smashed a toe riding motorcycles last weekend I followed suit and drilled a tiny little hole at the base of my toenail. I couldn't believe how much better it felt once the blood gushed out from under the nail. It worked much better than heating a needle and pressing it though the nail as I've done in the past.

One of out other employees related a story about someone he knew who tried doing the same thing with a drill press and a small drill bit. Unfortunately, as they sometimes do the bit grabbed just as it broke through the nail and he ended up drilling all the way through his thumb! Should have used a round carbide bur!!

I also rounded off chipped tooth once using my drill and a small bur when I didn't want to take time to go to the dentist. That also worked like a charm but I nearly pierced my lip in the process.

Now I don't recommend you try any of these things yourself but I would be interested in hearing about any unusual uses you have found for your windshield repair and headlight restoration products that others may not have thought of, especially if you have found a way to make or save money with them...and they don't have to be hillbilly medical procedures like the stories I shared.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
kennycrane
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Drilling toenails - Don't try this at home

Post by kennycrane »

I know that I am a little late chiming in on this thread, but I just noticed this today. I too have smashed a finger twice in the last several years and chose to grab my dremal with the windshield bit. It was not easy using it with one hand but I did not trust anyone else to know when to stop, since I for sure would be the first to know when it dropped through. :o But it sure did work well, and if it ever happens again I will not hesitate to use it again. I do however recommend a new sanitized drill bit :D
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Drilling toenails - Don't try this at home

Post by screenman »

In the days of telephone holes in dash boards I would use pit fill to fill them prior to retexturing and painting, I have also used pit fill to repair bits missing from alloy wheels. Also just remembered the glass hob in our kitchen no longer has a sharp corner where chef chipped it off, now repaired and lasting well with, you guessed it.