Are you kidding me?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Are you kidding me?

Post by t4k »

Just saw a commercial on TV for a product called Fast Brite that restores headlights in 30 seconds. But wait that's not all....if you order right now, with a credit card, we will double your offer. :shock:
just chippen away
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Are you kidding me?

Post by just chippen away »

They do not care that this may only last 3 months on a good end.. They have some of your money... and also added to the problem by adding another coat over the top of the first problem to start with. But that is ok, The sucker saved money thinking that is all we do....
Just Chippen Away
mend master

Post by mend master »

And if you act NOW, we'll also throw in a slightly used set of Ginsu knife look-alikes! That way you'll have something to scrape the finish off with when it begins to fail in less than 2 weeks! Hurry while supplies last! A deal this good only comes around every five minutes on cable!
just chippen away

Post by just chippen away »

I did a job yesterday for a customer that did his own headlights with a store bought kit and it did not last more that 6 months, it hazed over like he had not done anything... I finished his lights and the customer was blown away. I asked if his lights looked like this when he did them himself and he replied, no were near... He asked what grit I used and I told him all the steps I did. He was shocked it what it takes to make them look new again.... I was not cheep, and his wife asked for more of my flyer's... She is a real estate agent.... hopefully good referrals...
Just Chippen Away
candyman

Post by candyman »

I did a HLR last week on a vehicle that the owner had paid $35 for a do-it-yourself kit. He applied something similar to laquer and it smeared. The sand paper he used in the kit started at 1500. I had to use 2, 180 grit pads 1, 320 1, 600 and a 1500 to remove the problem. It looked like new when I finished. To top it off he used a razor blade to try to get it off after it smeared and scratched the lens.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

candyman wrote:I did a HLR last week on a vehicle that the owner had paid $35 for a do-it-yourself kit. He applied something similar to laquer and it smeared. The sand paper he used in the kit started at 1500. I had to use 2, 180 grit pads 1, 320 1, 600 and a 1500 to remove the problem. It looked like new when I finished. To top it off he used a razor blade to try to get it off after it smeared and scratched the lens.
Some people are nuts... :shock:
pommy

Post by pommy »

I use a razorblade EVERY day?

Mainly on BMW headlights etc which have the harder poly-coating.

It works flawlessly every time and makes a nice surface for the sanding.

There is nothing a razor blade won't move - and it's FAST!

I've tried many these products out of curiosity and found one product that "kinda" works - but is sold by the ml and isn't a viable option.

Cheers,

Pommy
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
candyman

Post by candyman »

I tested 2 products today that one of my dealers was planning to purchase to save money. Neither worked as I demonstrated to the owner. Fine print stated may need to redo several times or use a 3000 grit pad. Well known auto store products. The owner decided I should continue servicing his business. Also he gave me a card of a person that was new to the are that offered to do HLR for $15 per Vehicle. He had a plain white business card, very little information and no name. Just a phone number and the card said fleet, and dealer discounts. When he was called he failed to have city and county licenses required for this area. Was not a chamber member and not known by the chamber. The ownwer asked me a few questions and then tossed the card in the garbage. I've discovered that some small town businesses only deal wih members of the Chamber of Commerece.