Considering HLR

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
KTinAz
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Considering HLR

Post by KTinAz »

After a conversation with my daughter about HLR, I was looking around and noticed literally hundreds of vehicles that could use this service. I started doing some research and ended up here, reading this forum. I am considering doing this to supplement my income(I work full time), and also maybe part time income when I retire.(3 years)
My questions are: This seems to be a learn on your own procedure. How long does it take to become proficient? If I am not comfortable just watching a dvd, is training available? What kind of major mistakes can I make on a vehicle. Any comments would be appreciated.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Considering HLR

Post by Brent Deines »

I know it seems crazy but this really is something you can do without any formal training. There is no reason your very 1st restoration job shouldn't come out very good. We've thought about offering training but unlike windshield repair there just isn't all that much to teach. That's not to say you won't get better and faster with practice, but I've yet to meet anyone who wasn't pretty comfortable with the process after their first restoration and almost everyone is shocked at that the quality of the results of their first attempt.

I'm sure others will chime in with what to watch for but in my opinion the thing you need to be most careful about is protecting the vehicle during the sanding process. The biggest problem you are likely to have is a hard to sand lens, but if you use 180 grit discs even that doesn't typically pose much of a problem.

We offer a 30 day money back guarantee so if you buy a Delta Kits system you can get a few headlights from a wrecking yard and try it for yourself before you decide if you need additional training or not, but I'm betting you won't. If you buy another brand just make sure you get a money back guarantee and give it a go. You have nothing to lose and if you find it as easy as I think you will, you can make some money with the system even if you eventually choose to return it for a refund.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Dr.Chipster

Post by Dr.Chipster »

Brent Deines wrote:I know it seems crazy but this really is something you can do without any formal training. There is no reason your very 1st restoration job shouldn't come out very good. We've thought about offering training but unlike windshield repair there just isn't all that much to teach. That's not to say you won't get better and faster with practice, but I've yet to meet anyone who wasn't pretty comfortable with the process after their first restoration and almost everyone is shocked at that the quality of the results of their first attempt.

This is true. I sat on the fence for a year contemplating if this was for me. I wasn't familiar with using power tools. Didn't take shop class.I tried doing it by hand with a kit from a local detail shop and that was a was a disaster. I finally took the plunge and bought the Delta Kits system. When it arrived, I took the system out of the box and pulled my van in the garage for my first headlight restoration. I didn't even have the DVD to watch, just paper instructions. I followed the steps in the booklet and voila, it took 45 minutes and I was blown away. I thought it was a fluke so I got the keys to my wife's Tahoe, 30 minutes later she had new headlights. I was so excited I woke her up and made her come look. She was angry but excited for me. My work is consistent with this system. I get the same results every time. AMAZING!!!!!!!!

Things to watch out for is not every headlight is the same. Some are easy to do, some have hard clear coats that are difficult to remove. There is a thread that was started on how to handle tough clear coats. I have found that if the headlight lens are really bad they are easier restore. The ones with light corrosion take more time. I probably go overboard when taping off a car as not to scratch it. I can't afford paint jobs. Some lenses have protrusions and take a little more effort to complete but can still be done with awesome results.

I have a lot a fun wowing folks with my work and though the DK system should get the credit I take it :lol: . Oh and by the way I will be coming up on a year since I restored my lenses and the are just as new looking as the the day I restored them. PM me and I will lead you to my website, I have pictures of before and after shots I have taken, getting ready to upload a few more tonight.
candyman

Post by candyman »

There are a lot of HLR products in the market place at the moment. I have found Delta kits system to be consistent with end results. Just follow the steps and take your time. I have removed paint, clear coats etc and the end results were almost like new each time. It was a littlle nerve racking the first time for me. The headlight was still blurry after I sanded and polished. Then I applied the UV coating and the lens beacme clear and looked like new. This is what we call the WOW factor. It takes me 30-45 minutes to do a set of headlights. Iam now over 300 since I started. Heat & humidity will be a concern when applying the UV. Tape off good prior to the HLR sanding. Desticky the tape prior to applying to painted surface, Someone had use model plane paint to touch up around a headlight. When I pulled the tape off the paint came up also. The owner was nice about this but it could have costed me. Also beware of bumpers that have been repainted and not done correctly causing the clear coat to come off when the tape is removed. I use the 3M Blue tape. I pull a piece off and tape my pants leg with it prior to using it. This reduces the amount of sticky and it seems to work. Prior to removing the tape from the car, I soak it with water spray and the tape almost falls off the vehicle. This also helps reduce the possibility of damaging the painted surfaces. Good luck and it really is easy to learn and do without addtional training.
KTinAz

Post by KTinAz »

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the feedback.
Dr. Chipster, I found your website through your member profile. Amazing results seem to be the norm for this business. Thats part of the appeal, a truly visual final result.
Another question. I understand the part that you have to get the old coating off the light. When you are sanding, how do you know when this is achieved? What happens if you sand too much? I am ok with messing up my own car, just don't want to harm anybody else's.
Dr.Chipster

Post by Dr.Chipster »

The lens will have a frosted look almost non transparent. If you see shiny, keep sanding. Check out the videos on Delta kits website. The first time I went through the process I thought there is no way the lens would be clear again. Just go through each grit and when you get to the last step you'll be amazed. When you apply the coat to protect you'll be blown away. Good luck to you.
KTinAz

Post by KTinAz »

Spent a little time every day for the last week reading this entire HLR forum. I have learned so much and I haven't ever done a HLR before. Cost in my area runs the gamut. Have seen anywhere from $40 to $100, but haven't seen anyone who is really promoting this. Mostly glass shops and a couple independents. I am sure there are more out there, just haven't found them yet. Now I just have to convince the wife that I can do this.
t4k

Post by t4k »

KTinAz wrote:Spent a little time every day for the last week reading this entire HLR forum. I have learned so much and I haven't ever done a HLR before. Cost in my area runs the gamut. Have seen anywhere from $40 to $100, but haven't seen anyone who is really promoting this. Mostly glass shops and a couple independents. I am sure there are more out there, just haven't found them yet. Now I just have to convince the wife that I can do this.
You can do this.
All of the DIY kits on the market now and the TV ads are making people try it themselves first. Retail market in my area is a bit slow due to the 5 minute wipe on wipe off ads for $10. But wait....if you call in the next 10 minutes we will double your order!!
just chippen away

Post by just chippen away »

KTinAz wrote:Spent a little time every day for the last week reading this entire HLR forum. I have learned so much and I haven't ever done a HLR before. Cost in my area runs the gamut. Have seen anywhere from $40 to $100, but haven't seen anyone who is really promoting this. Mostly glass shops and a couple independents. I am sure there are more out there, just haven't found them yet. Now I just have to convince the wife that I can do this.
KT
What part of AZ are you in?
You say that H/L Restores run from 40 to 100....
It all depends on what they do to the lights and the reputation of the vendor doing the work.... We have a tent setup doing them for 25. and all he does is sand off the cancer a little like on a house removing the flaky paint, then uses car polish to shine them up.... I have already redone 3 of jobs that were done less than 3 months prior....
Just Chippen Away
KTinAz

Post by KTinAz »

I am in the Tucson area.