New Headlight Restoratin Kit With Infinity 4.1

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
pommy
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: New Headlight Restoratin Kit With Infinity 4.1

Post by pommy »

Once again your insight on all of this is truly appreciated. With the polish that you use how long does it take to cure. Also while applying the polish do you just apply it by hand and thats it, or do you also use some type of buffer pad or the polishing disc along with it??
No problem, I hope it helps you out.

The polish is machine applied with an orange Delta pad, medium pressure, after the final sanding disc (1200,1500).

It's equivalent to 3000 grit and the results are instant clarity, has to be seen to be believed.

A quick wash off with water, dry and then apply your coating of choice. I use a 12v hair dryer to dry the coating and the cure takes about 10 mins max.

I'm not sure I can tell you in the forum of the brand of polish?

I did try the Delta orbital with my polish and it didn't work. I use a normal drill which does a great job or the cordless which does it a little slower as you can't press as hard.

Cheers

Pommy
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

pommy wrote:

I'm not sure I can tell you in the forum of the brand of polish?
Why is everybody scared to put name brands on the forum. If it is something the forum leaders do not like, they will remove it. I personally like 3M's Perfect-It 3000.
pommy

Post by pommy »

"scared"?
t4k

Post by t4k »

pommy wrote:"scared"?
You are the second person on the headlight section of this forum that did want to mention a name brand of polish.

Maybe the word "scared" was the wrong term....let's try apprehensive.

If you will kindly note, I mentioned a name brand in my previous post and Korey hasn't shot me yet!! :shock:
Kgobin

Post by Kgobin »

pommy wrote:...I found that for me, the polishing discs didn't restore the clarity I needed. No matter how many I used and what pressure (I tried them with a drill and a Makita polisher as well as the orbital)...
Here is a short video showing how our polishing discs will clear up a lens when used properly with the random orbital Griot's tool. Before starting the video this headlight was sanded starting with a 320 grit disc and finishing with a 1500 grit disc following Delta Kits recommended procedures. Note that no coating has been applied yet which will help give the lens that wet look. This video is only illustrate the proper use of the polishing disc and Griot's tool.

Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
pommy

Post by pommy »

You are the second person on the headlight section of this forum that did want to mention a name brand of polish.
Amazing. And this helps the OP how?
Maybe the word "scared" was the wrong term....let's try apprehensive.
Maybe? It was.

Anyway, the OP is using Delta kit, so I'm not going to post alternatives for all to see, I respect Brent, Korey - Delta.

If he wants the polish brand, he can PM me.
If you will kindly note, I mentioned a name brand in my previous post and Korey hasn't shot me yet!! :shock:

Noted.

And is it really Korey we have to watch out for?
t4k

Post by t4k »

Wow! By that last response, I take it that I have somehow upset you. I had no idea the name of a polish could cause such turmoil.
candyman

Post by candyman »

I've only had a few peel on me. I have had several cloud up between 6mo & 12 months that may have been a result of using the wax polish or the extreme heat we have in the south. I have vehicles that I did use wax on when I first started that still look good after almost 3 years. I have some that I didnt use wax on that needed to be redone after 12 months. It depends on how well the customer takes care of his headlights and the lens condition. Two vehicles can roll off the assembly line today and both be exact . 5 years from now one will need a HLR and the other will still look good 20 years from now. We see the WOW all the time and our customers dont. Thats why the customer is happy when you redo an old lens and It doesnt meet your satisfaction compared to a newer lens. The customer see's the differents is better. I always strive for the WOW and I dont rush the job to meet a time table. It normally takes me 35 - 60 minutes per vehicle. Thats tapeing off, writing the reciept and collecting the money. What slows me up is answering questions while Iam trying to work. Have a good week. I did a 2006 Chev cobalt today. It was 42 dgs. I used a 180, 320, 600, 1500 and a 3000 pad. I used the infiniti 4.1 instead of the chem base. The lens came out great. I was having a difficult time getting through the top coating. I also repaired a 1/4 star break for HSG on the same vehicle. I had the driver heat the interior of the vehicle and I parked it in the sun. The windshield was 78 dgs when I made the repair. No drilling; The driver could not find the damage when she picked the Vehicle up.
candyman

Post by candyman »

Korey! I watched that clip. Iam in the field and I dont get that all the time with the vehicles I do. When I dont, I use the Delta wax and I get a better finish. Even when I dont see it that clear, I get a WOW after appling the UV coating. Sometimes the lens looks great after the 3000 pad or wax without the UV coating. Then I apply the UV and it becomes even clearer (WOW) Factor. I sometimes try to use the 3000 pad several times before replacing instead of after each lens. I did a Lexus a few weeks ago and it took me 10 minutes per lens with the 3000 pad to get it crystal clear. The owner thought I was done when He saw it. Then I applied the coating and he was even more amazed at the result. I got another referral from that job.
Brent Deines

Re: New Headlight Restoration Kit With Infinity 4.1

Post by Brent Deines »

DB, I'll be sending you an email by the end of the week along with a list of others who have expressed interest but if you get a chance give me a call tomorrow. It's been a long day so I'm going to come in a little late in the morning, but should be here by 9:00am. Based on your comments and previous discussions we have had, along with some recent testing we have been doing I'm pretty sure I can now help you get much better results with the 3000 pad than ever before, although I don't recommend using it for more than 2 lenses. I'm not sure what you mean by "Delta Wax", but if that is our polish you probably won't be using that anymore after we talk so you won't have to worry about the premature clouding or peeling any longer.

You are not the only one to say that you don't get the same results that we did on the video clip "all the time", but we made a couple of simple modifications to our pre-polishing procedure that I think will get you those results "all the time" from here on out and cut down on the time you spend with your polishing pad in the process. Hope to hear from you tomorrow!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.