New Headlight Restoratin Kit With Infinity 4.1

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: New Headlight Restoratin Kit With Infinity 4.1

Post by Kgobin »

The 4.1 is $3 higher than the C2P and the guaranteed shelf life is still 90 days (same as C2P). In testing we have had 1 year + unopened and 6 months + opened. We expect longer but that is all the testing we have had so far.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
pommy

Post by pommy »

I'm currently using Infinity - but I didn't use C2P before it, so I can't make a comparison.

I find that there are a few sags/lines in it (probably my fault applying it).

It leaves a blue/cloudy tint to the light - especially on really new lights that were crystal clear before the application.

Quite a lot is wasted. The shop towel soaks it up, then after application you could wring it out - seems such a waste each time?

I must point out that I am new to this method of UV coating and moved from a competitors method.

I wish I could combine the two HLR kits to make the perfect system as they both have their draw-backs :(
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Pommy,

Sorry to hear you are having some problems. If you are getting sags and lines and you have so much excess in the towel that you can ring it out it sounds to me like you are applying too much coating to the towel to start with. If the recommended amount of chemical is more than you need, simply cut back on how much you mix and how much you put on the towel. Just keep in mind that it is better to mix a little too much than not enough.

I've never seen or heard from anyone else about a blue/cloudy tint so that is something we will have to look into. Korey said you emailed him we we'll do some testing and see if we can reproduce that issue, but I'm curious as to why you would be putting a coating on a new headlight that was "crystal clear before the application" in the first place. Please explain.

We have different buffers, polishes, polishing pads, etc., available, so just give Korey "specific" information about the things you like and dislike. We'll do our best to come up with something that fits your needs.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
pommy

Post by pommy »

Hi Brent,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, Korey and I are chatting via email as we speak - I'm sure we can figure something out.

When I made up the Infinity, I made it up so that it didn't drip as per the video Korey sent - So I guess it's my technique that needs improving.

In response to your "Crystal Clear" let me errm "clear" that comment up!...The lights that I restore are hardly ever ALL yellow, 80% of them are one quarter or a third from the top damaged only - thus leaving the remainder like a new light.

As you know, in order to restore them, the whole lot has to come off, not just the top damaged bit. When I sand the whole light back and follow the process to the letter - the result is nothing like the original - it's cloudier and has a milky tint to it - I've tried to capture it and sent a couple of pics to Korey.

As it stands, there is no way I can charge a customer for the work and I would definitely turn away any business on new cars due to the results.

It's concerning as I just moved to Delta Kits - but like I said, I'm sure there will be an answer ;)

I hate putting this info on a forum - I LOVE my WSR kit, it's perfect!
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Thanks for the reply. Nearly all the restorations we do are far more severe to begin with, although we did a BMW today that was not bad at all, just a very particular owner.

As I mentioned previously, there is a learning curve when it comes to applying Infinity 4.1 but with a bit of practice our technicians are generally able to apply without any drips. One nice thing about it is that if you do have a drip, uncured coating can be removed with warm water and the lens re-coated. Coat2Protect is less likely to drip but more difficult to correct if you do experience an application problem.

I'm not sure why your results are different than ours but hopefully you and Korey will be able find a solution to the problem.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
pommy

Post by pommy »

Hi,

Yep - we are working on it ;)

I'm hoping that it is something to do with the prep.

The polishing pad/3000 grit doesn't seem to do much in the way of prepping - although it clears the headlight a bit - the headlight still has small scratches before the Infinity is applied.

I thought the UV coating "filled" small scratches - but they are still there when the UV has cured.

Here are some pics with my old method - the BMW is the TYPICAL type of headlight I get, the VW Golf is an extreme case.

BMW was done with a razor blade by hand (I think a 320 grit is too harsh and causes too much swirls and deep scratches) then same sanding process but with a drill and 3000 type polish to finish.

VW was done with a drill, same sanding and a polish which is similar to 3000 grit.

I was considering:

54300 Headlight Polishing Compound - 8 OZ
56110 Polish Pad - Foam - 2 pack

But let's see what Korey comes up with - I spent my last money on this kit so I really do hope I can sort it out at no further expense or downtime ;)
t4k

Post by t4k »

If you were pleased with your old methodology, why switch?
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

If you feel the 320 is too harsh and you get better results with a razor blade, then by all means that is the method you should use. Although I personally have not found that method to be the most effective, there is certainly more than one way to get the job done and sometimes what you are most familiar with is your best option. Remember, you can always return your Delta Kits purchase for a full refund if not 100% satisfied but I would encourage you to continue working with Korey as I'm confident we will find a solution that will provide the results you desire. The BMW photos look great, but certainly not results you should not be able to achieve using the Infinity 4.1 if the lens is polished prior to applying the coating. We are getting good results in our shop using our recommended procedure but continue testing to see if we can come up with a procedure that provides the same results in your shop...every time.

3000 grit is a polishing disc and is not for scratch removal. All scratches have to be removed prior to using a polishing disc.

Coat2Protect fills in fine scratches very well, eliminating the need to get the lens crystal clear before applying the coating. Infinity 4.1 is a hard coat that will bring out the shine but does not hide scratches as well as Coat2Protect so prep is the key to getting the results you are looking for. Unfortunately Australia is one of the countries that we cannot ship Coat2Protect to.

I know Korey has discussed a number of possible solutions, some of which you are more familiar with, so hopefully the issue will be resolved soon. Until then it seems rather pointless for me to duplicate efforts here on the forum. I normally avoid trying to resolve tech support issues on the forum as it is not a very effective use of my time but kind of got sucked into this one. :D
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
pommy

Post by pommy »

t4k wrote:If you were pleased with your old methodology, why switch?
Good question!

The answer? Using a drill destroys my lower back and the final UV stage wasn't present on the last Companies kit.

I liked the look of the one-handed orbital action and the UV coating looked amazing in the videos.

Another good reason is that I have a WSR from Delta and it's a pleasure to use. I like to have one reputable supplier for my business needs.

@ Brent - thanks for all of your input - you are proud of your products, staff and Company and it shows ;)

I'll deal with this off-forum from here on.

Cheers!
pommy

Post by pommy »

"Remember, you can always return your Delta Kits purchase for a full refund if not 100% satisfied but I would encourage you to continue working with Korey as I'm confident we will find a solution that will provide the results you desire"

I just thought I'd update this post as I'm considering just that.

Although I have spoken to Korey, and he's been VERY helpful - I'm still not happy with the results from the kit, depsite trying and trying.

I'm a very capable guy, there is no confusion in the process. I fully underdstand that the prep for any job in general, is paramount to the final result.

I've tried the "old" polish that Delta used to use as part of the process because the 3000 grit has almost no effect and the Infinity does not fill gaps anywhere near as good as the C2P (apparently).

So, I have two problems that I really need to address as I've completed jobs with no charge due to the lack of "WOW factor" which I USED to get from customers.

Currently, I have 10 outstanding jobs, that I can't complete due to the final finish not being up to scratch.

First problem I have is streaks in the Infinity. I've tried on my customers and many, many times on my "test light" with streak after streak?

Is there anybody else out there who is using infinity? - I'm surprised that there are no comments on this thread - surely there must be some feedback by now?

(I've read the "Paper Towel" thread also).

The second problem is that the orbital sander is not capable of polishing like a drill. I'd like the lens as clear as possible before applying it as it doesn't "fill" very much.

You can't use any pressure - so the polishing compounds I have, both Delta and other suppliers can't be used properly as they both require a "lean against" pressure to restore clarity to the lens.

So do I have to carry a drill/polisher AND the orbital? - Swap all of the adaptors over? Very messy, heavy and time consuming - I need a little help from guys/girls who are actually doing this daily.

I'd like some feedback from Infinity users - if anyone is using it and can offer any tips - that would be great.