Looking into add HR...

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Auto Glass Rescue
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Looking into add HR...

Post by Auto Glass Rescue »

I'm not ready yet (maybe 6 or so months out), but I'm beginning to look into adding HR as an add-on. I know there are multiple variables, but how many jobs do you average a month?
jhickman1

Re: Looking into add HR...

Post by jhickman1 »

I'll be watching this post. Im in the same boat as you are. Ive been considering starting HLR as an add-on to WSR but it'll probly be about 6-8 months out.
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

Do you guys plan on doing retail or wholesale (fleets and car lots)?
candyman

Post by candyman »

Good morning! I made over 5K the first 5 months just doing HLR. It paid for my HLR & WSR kits and the trip to OR for Delta kits tng. I live in a small town. Some of you live in much bigger cities. I could have saved myself some grief if I had went to The WSR class sooner. I picked the HLR up with the instructions within the first days. Iam still learning all the time. The method that Delta recommends now, works very well and it is almost always consistent. Not all headlights are easy to do. Thats why I stock 180 grit disc and 320. The combanation of the 2 helps bring in money when one is slow. I also added faded Bumper refurbishing and water spot removal during the past 2 weeks. Send me a PM and I will let you know how that turns out.
candyman

Post by candyman »

I forgot to answer your question. I do this part time. Some weeks I may do zero while others I may do 10 or more. On the average I do 4 - 5 per week. My Price range is between $50 & $65 depending upon the type of Vehicle and driving Distance. I make extra money doing Fog lamps and Polishing tail lights. I hope that answers your question.
Auto Glass Rescue

Wow candyman, thank you! I may PM you today if I get time.

t4k,
I was thinking I would just start with retail.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

Auto Glass Rescue wrote:
t4k,
The reason for my question has merit. I only do about 1-2 jobs retail per month but I do about 8-10 per month wholesale for car lots. These numbers vary greatly but I feel this is a good estimate.
Auto Glass Rescue

t4k wrote:
Auto Glass Rescue wrote:
t4k,
The reason for my question has merit. I only do about 1-2 jobs retail per month but I do about 8-10 per month wholesale for car lots. These numbers vary greatly but I feel this is a good estimate.
Great, thanks for the insight!
candyman

Post by candyman »

Good morning. I had 3 HLRs on Wed. I used the infiniti 4.1. The Dodge Ram & the 1996 Dodge truck were easy to do. I came face-to-face with a 2005 Impala. If you get into this business charge more for this vehicle. I though $65 was enough. I was wrong. I used 13, 180 grit pads to get to the surface of the lens. The lens was pited, and had been treated with a spray coating. The lens looked great after the restoration, but it took me almost 2 hours. I am moving the price higher for all future impalas. Its tough on the sander and your body. In the past I wore out a metabo orbital sander. The New Griots orange orbital holds up better and produces less heat.
The coast of extra pads is about $15. There are a few other vehicles that are tough, but this is almost always the same. I give senior citizens a 10% discount. My custoer today benefited from that special.
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

I did an Impala last Friday that was the same. One of the toughest I have ever done. I also used 180 and I've only resorted to that a couple other times. This job did take me 2x the time and materials as normal.... but it's still nothing compared to what it cost you. I have a couple suggestions that can help on these nasty jobs. If anyone is serious about HLR and willing to have extra equipment on hand, send me a PM... I would rather help one on one, knowing a bit about what experience and equipment you currently have.