Delaminating Glass

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
kaitlin86
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Delaminating Glass

Post by kaitlin86 »

If I have a break to repair and delamination has already started to occur can that break be safely repaired? Safely meaning that the integrity of the windshield hasn't been compromised to the point of it no longer being safe for the driver and/or causing an unsafe visual obstruction. If any level of repair IS safe at what point does delamination warrant replacement? Is it economicical, for myself or the customer, to attempt repair on glass that has started to delaminate? Thanks for any advice you guys can offer!
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Delaminating Glass

Post by Glasseye »

Ideally a picture of the glass damage you are concerned about would have helped. However, delamination, within the damaged area, will be a common occurrence. If the damage is fresh then you would probably not see it very well but, if left unrepaired, over a period of time water seeps onto the interlayer and starts to turn the interlayer back to its original colour, which is milky in appearance. Once this has happened it is irreversible, even though you may do a good repair on the glass it will always show this milky appearance. If the damage you are repairing was in the prime vision area i. e. the area roughly described by width of the steering wheel and the upper and lower sweep of the wiper, I would recommend replacement rather than repair. Why?, although the milky colour may not be too bad it causes focussing problems for the the driver which can result in headaches and distraction to driving the vehicle.