Introduction and sale model question

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Butch
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Introduction and sale model question

Post by Butch »

Hello everyone,

I'm 55 years old and had a heart attack in early 2016. Doing pretty well now. But haven't worked much since then. My wife is retired and My family currently live in Gary Indiana.

I'm seriously considering entering into the WSR business I have lots of sales experience ranging from Mortgage loan sales (loan officer) to selling boats to selling rainbow vacume cleaners.

Now here are a few of my issue. My wife and I are ready to reclocate. Instead of moving to another city, we bought a travel trailer and plan on traveling full time. We'll stay in RV parks and other locations anywhere from a few days to a month, maybe longer if we really like it. So, I'm looking for ideas of how to work the WSR business while enjoying our new life style.

I thought I'd set up a tent where ever allowed and solicit business from fellow RVers as well as any drive up traffic. Also, how would I setup my business as far as business license since my home will be my RV. No phone line so no fax. I've seen services that handle the insurance end of the business and charge about $5 per transaction. Is that a good option? Any thoughts and/or ideas?

I have not bought a WSR kit yet. Because money is a little tight now and credit is shot (due to illnesses) I've considered buying a basic kit but they don't give you the tools to handle long cracks. I want to get a kit so I can start practicing, but I don't want to waste money by not buying a complete kit. I'm considering Delta kits, Ultra Bond and Glass Weld. How do these kits compare? I'm open to other suggestions. On going education is just as important as a complete quality kit.

I've been reading posts on this site and have learned a lot already.

Thanks you
Butch
Nomad
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Introduction and sale model question

Post by Nomad »

Spent 18 years on the road full time, doing WSR since 1996. You can generally avoid business licenses because you won't be staying there that long anyway. If you do they are not that expensive in most cases, and if you get chased out just go somewhere else. I consider it my right to offer my services to other people, and I do not have to have permission to exercise a right. That said, I don't invite challenges from the authorities if I can help it. A lot of parks don't want you hanging a banner across your windshield, but the way around that is to put it inside against the glass.

There are a lot of rallies and get-togethers around the country that you can get a spot at to do business. You will have to pay for these and it depends on how many people will be there and how many WSR people too. Plus if you aren't going there anyway then you have to take into consideration the cost of travel to the place. Sometimes you luck out and make $300 in an evening, and other times spend a week in a big park and get nothing. Get signs for your car or truck, magnetics if nothing else, and have a sign on the front of the vehicle so people will know what you do before you drive past them.

As far as equipment goes it all depends on what you get used to at first, but there is nothing to prevent you from eventually getting injectors from more than one company. Some are better than others for certain chips or locations on the WS. I like ones that can draw a decent vacuum and maintain good pressure. I don't think dry vacuum is really necessary but there is a lot of debate about that.

As far as long cracks go a lot of people don't even use an injector except at the end of the crack. I slide my injector along the crack but a lot of them can be filled just by letting the resin wick into the crack. Filling cracks is a different skill set, if you get good at it you can be in more demand as there are few people that will attempt to do it.

First thing is to get some training and practice a lot on scrap windshields, practice drying out chips, and don't believe some of the hype that you will hear from some manufacturers. There is a facebook page called "windshield repair only" that has just started up too, but so far it looks like the glass weld guys have taken over a lot of it.
Butch

Post by Butch »

Nomad,

thank you for your reply and advise. I want to get started in this venture as soon as possible. I agree the first thing to do is get a kit so I can start practicing. I think the perfect “kit” to start with is a Delta kit. Now by “kit” I don’t just mean the actual tools but the support, experance, customer support, training etc. and I feel Delta offers all of that. unfortunately, right now I can’t afford 1000-1200 dollars for a delta kit. But maybe I could swing a lesser expensive kit such as an American windshield repair kit just to get started with and then move up to a Delta kit. Now, I’ve never seen in person ANY windshield repair kit. So I have no idea what the quality level is on any of the kits. But based on others reviews and opinions I’d like to end up with A Delta kit and attend their training in Oregon. So here is my delima, and I hope I’m not out of line by asking this so directly on this site. The kit I want is the Delta EZ425D $1150 but can’t afford it right now. An alternate kit is the American Master kit $495 these are the more “complete” kits. I could go with a more basic kit such as the Delta EZ-200S Mini Mobile windshield repair system $430 or the American Mini Kit $225. I feel like the Delta basic kit Has the quality and I could add to it as I grow. The American mini kit is only $225 and I have no idea about the quality. Is it good enough to practice with and keep and build on? Now, if I pay $430 for the Delta mini kit I could spend $495 for the American Master kit and have a more complete kit. Please help me go in the right direction....my head is spinning and is about to explode and I’m driving my wife crazy.

Thanks again
Nomad
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Nomad »

There are three for sale on ebay. The one from Banning Ca looks to have two flip lever B250s or 300s, a dry out tool and a 12 volt uv light. It is $299.95 and another is $300. The $400 one has only one injector. If you have multiple chips you will need two injectors. I don't know if they are screw type or spring type but I expect spring, you can contact them and ask if you wish. You can also make an offer. The people at DK can help you out too if you call them and ask what they would do. Either one of these kits would get you up and running right away, assuming that everything works well.
Butch

Post by Butch »

Ok, I'll check them out. They weren't there last time I looked .thank you
AffordableWind

Post by AffordableWind »

Hello, my name is Aford. I repair and replace windscreen at a very affordable cost.