24\" crack repair?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
CGlenn

RLI

Post by CGlenn »

I saw a guy in a grocery store parking lot today advertising "we fix what others won't" ...or something like that. Plastered all over his windows was "24 inch crack repair" Since I am new to this all, I wanted to know if that is a repair that will be covered by insurance? (I was under the assumption that insurance will cover cracks up to 6"). Also if you complete this long of a repair, is it likely to result in a good looking, and effective repair?

Since this is my firs real post, I want to thank all of the contributors in this forum for being such an excellent source of guidance and wisdom!! You guys are great. Any reservations I had coming into this business has all but dissapeared after reading all of the encouraging and helpful information. Now I can't wait to get out there and work! I think it is great that everyone is willing to help newbies like myself and share knowledge. Once again THANKS EVERYONE! :wink:
gold star wsr

24" crack repair?

Post by gold star wsr »

Lots of techs routinely repair long cracks like that. How they turn out, or what kind of guarantee they give, I suppose varies from one to another. The "recommended practices" that was developed a few years ago as guidelines for wsr sets the maximum length for cracks at 6". Insurance companies often ask if the crack can be covered with a dollar bill , which diagonally measures a little more than 6", but is still a good rule of thumb. I have done longer cracks, and they have been good repairs, structurally and visually. However, I simply dont like doing them, so I seldom do them.
cwrepair

Post by cwrepair »

Yes! The cracks that are 24" and even longer can be fixed! I fix them all the time and have for the past six years.I have gone to fix new repairs on old customer vehicals that I did long crack repair years ago only to see that my old work was still as nice as the day i did it.I offer the same lifetime warenty on the long cracks as i do any repairs. Yes, The insurance companys want it to be no bigger than a dollar bill and you have to let the insured know that so they can phibb a little in order to get the aproval for the repair. Theres only one way to fill a long crack correctly. First, you really need someone to push and flex the glass from the inside so you can see the actual location of where the crack ends. then you need to make a mark of that location to start drilling a hole. This hole at the very end creates a dead stopping point the rest of the crack can not cross. Once drilled apply the injection to the break and start filling the rest of the break with resin and covering with your tabs. once completed and continuing to push and pull your injection, you can start pushing on the glass from the inside, so as to open the break enough to allow the resin to drop down and fill. along with some heating with your lighter or some other heat sorce to thin the viscosity down and remove the air to complete the repair. Then of course when you have it looking great, you can remove your uv cover to let her set. Of course none of this is no good if you dont use the appropriate resin for long crack repair. Your friend cwrepair
autocosmetics
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Long Cracks_______________________________________

Post by autocosmetics »

Does the insurance company pay the same for a crack as a stone chip? If so, do you accept that amount as payment in full for a 24" crack? Does it take quite a bit longer to repair? I'm still kinda new at this and haven't attempted cracks yet but have wondered about how to bill for cracks when I'm ready to start repairing them.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

I have done crack repairs this long at the request of the customer only on very large bus or coach screens which can cost up to
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
rmay635703
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re:

Post by rmay635703 »

cwrepair wrote:Yes! The cracks that are 24" and even longer can be fixed! I fix them all the time and have for the past six years.I have gone to fix new repairs on old customer vehicals that I did long crack repair years ago only to see that my old Your friend cwrepair
Does anyone in Wisconsin fix longer windshield cracks?