Sales Rep. Salary or Comission?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Chris Sparry

Sales Rep. Salary or Comission?

Post by Chris Sparry »

Hello all, Been a long time since I was here. Now being in need some advice, what better place to get it!

I am now in need of a sales rep. maybe part time to start. My question is with salary, I want to be fair but at the same time do not want to get 'ripped off' either. I mean, with a outdoor sales rep, it is easy to 'ride the clock' so to speak. I need some ideas on this.

I was thinking of a comission plan, or a salary plus comission. I would probably want to stay away from hourly, but not completly opposed to the idea either.

How would you do a comission plan in our industry?

How would some of you handle this with a part-time sales rep?
a1repair
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Sales Rep. Salary or Comission?

Post by a1repair »

Greetings Chip,

Is there anyway to make him, or train him to be a "working/doing the repairs sales rep?
In that instance my advice would be commission. It's a real motivator.
[FONT=Arial]A-1[/FONT] Windshield & Vinyl Repair
We get the monkey off your back! Since 1984
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

Hey I have been in sales since 1982 sold door to door then janitorial supplies and 20 years in the car buisness so trust when I tell you a salaried salesperson will not work. The sales profession thrives on success through achievment Commission Commission Commission some states will require you to pay at least minimum wage some overcome this with a draw on commission tallied at the end of the month. My feeling is a salesperson who has to take a minimum wage check its his last check. Every place I ever worked had that policy and success was the result. a salary breeds contentment and content salespeople dont sell
Jeremiahswindshieldrepair

Post by Jeremiahswindshieldrepair »

I pay my fleet guy 50% commissions .. he does the repairs and sales. It is very difficult to find a good person and I have gone through a few people trying. I landed on a good guy but he is moving on to his electronics engineering proffession again sometime soon.
repare-brise

Post by repare-brise »

I pay my employee's 50% + millage, and we are both happy. I allow them to do a few cash jobs as well, I achieve a control on this by monitering the resin used. A bottle of resin should yeild between 80-100 repairs, if they ask for a new bottle before achieving 70 repairs they pay me(deducted from there pay) $20.00 per missing repair. For my 50% I provide the clerical work, cards, advertising, millage, invoicing, materials, and customer base. For there 50% they do the work, satisfy the customers, look for work when not booked, work a minimum of 30 hours per week, pay there deductions(income tax ect). They are technically not employees but sub contractors. Employ some-one you can trust and you customers will trust him/her as well.

Merci
Chris Sparry

Post by Chris Sparry »

That is a great way to do it!

I own a Repair and Replacement Store. I am looking for a sales rep to land some of the bigger accounts in my area. I am not really looking for a part time tech-part time sales rep. I would probably wnat someone who will focus on bigger accounts, Problem is I don't know what type of time line I should put on them to land a new account. Wether it be one a week, month and so on.

Also, how do you comission a sales rep only? They are not out doing the repairs, and once they land the account, other than the occassional maintenance by dinners, scatch pads and pens, there job is over. It is now up to the CSR and tech to keep the account!

Chris I have some ideas on how you can do this ... if you want to call me we can have a quick discussion and maybe come up with some good suggestions.

oops forgot my phone number LOL 503-750-4567 Brian
Chris Sparry

Post by Chris Sparry »

Heres an idea I am brainstorming.

(Keep in mind we repair and replace)

Part time sales rep-base salary at $200 per week

$50 one time bonus for all new accounts brought to us in which we do x no. of completed jobs for.

$20 bonus for all one-time glass replacement customers refered by the sales rep.

$10 bonus for a ll one-time w/s repair customers sent.

Opinions Please!
Chris Sparry

Post by Chris Sparry »

Thank you Blind Squirrel, It sounds as if you have done this before.

I am in the Savannah, Ga. Area.