holy crack!!!!!!

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
toab

Re: holy crack!!!!!!

Post by toab »

d.dave..I am with screenman..it sounds like you got it goin on when it comes to w.r. and I hope to learn a thing or 2 from you too.
Dependable Dave

Post by Dependable Dave »

There's a reason it says Junior Member under my name and Senior Member under screenman's name. I've repaired a tiny fraction of his 31,000 windshields. I remember the name of that tool I mentioned earlier: Polariscope. If I can attach a file to this post, you can read a PDF about measuring stress in glass. Here goes...well, that didn't work. I haven't been here long enough to know how to use the forum yet. If you want the PDF, email me at daveswindshieldrepair@yahoo.com and I'll forward it.
Dependable Dave

Actually, you can cure the resin from inside the glass but you'd better be prepared to spend 5-10 thousand dollars. The intensity is what does it. Our piddly little (affordable) curing lamps don't put out that kind of intensity. And if they did, you might get a really nasty sunburn.

There are resins that cure with visible light but you can imagine what that would mean...doing all of your repairs at midnight by braille.

In the end, we can do an effective job with minimal expense, in a reasonable time frame. It would be nice to cure from the inside of the windshield but I'm not willing to spend so much money for the privilege.
toab

Post by toab »

Thats funny because in my testing the bright july sunshine would not cure resin on the other side of the glass.I thought that sunshine is the best curing lamp that you can use.
Dependable Dave

I respectfully disagree. The sun, as bright as it is, doesn't put out nearly the intensity of UV as that hugely expensive UV lamp I spoke of earlier. It's for industrial use only and would be totally impractical for us. Just the power needed to operate it is outlandish.

I use a lamp on most of my repairs, but have used the sun effectively as well. I just prefer the lamp. The tip of the injector doesn't allow as much sun light to hit the resin as the lamp allows from it's acute angle. I cure all of my repairs with the injector in place and in pressure mode. I know that not everyone does it that way.
toab

Post by toab »

It sounds like an excellent idea except that doesn't the uv get up inside the injector and start curing inside it? I ask this because I repair more than 1 break between fillups of my injector with the system that i use so I do not clean my injector after each repair but rather stuff it in an old sock and put it back in my kit.I can get sometimes 2-3 repairs between fillups.If I can cure under pressure and not clog up my injector then I will revise my procedure.
GlasWeldTech
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlasWeldTech »

I always cure under pressure. I also have filled several breaks without adding resin to my injectors. I do a very through cleaning on Friday nights and just wipe up injectors and seals until them with my equipment. I know some will disagree with my setup saying I could have contaminated resin from pulling a strong vacuum on many breaks but in 7 years this has served me well.
Dependable Dave

I've been curing with the injector in place for 10 years and have never had a problem with the resin curing up inside the tool. Once in a while a small ring of resin cures on the glass around the break but shaves off easily with a blade. I believe it's mostly on the rare occasion when a little resin leaks out away from the seal on the glass. Too much pressure on the resin, or not enough pressure on the seal, or a surface crack.
John86045
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by John86045 »

thanks