holy crack!!!!!!

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Zach's Glass

holy crack!!!!!!

Post by Zach's Glass »

it happen to me today. i was fixing a dime size chip on a 2004 chevy surburban the exact way i was taught in the delta training, the temp out side was 87 cloudy a perfect day. when i reach out to take off my bridge the chip cracked 5 inches on each side. the only thing i can think of maybe the head pressure, or the sun coming thru the clouds heated up the windsield. well the customer was not happy. first thing i did was call to make sure my installer had the glass to replace the windshield which he did, and i explained to the customer i would replace the glass at my cost. which i did. customer happy i'm happy. did i do the right thing by eating the cost of the glass or should i have done something else. thanks for your time.... rosco
GlasWeldTech
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: holy crack!!!!!!

Post by GlasWeldTech »

Was the chip fully filled and cured? All legs filled? Not familiar with delta equipment. Maybe you should have turned the suburban to face away from sun? Maybe injector to tight against glass. When my injector touches the glass I give it about 1/8 th more turn.
SGT

Post by SGT »

This is a touchy topic as you will find varying outlooks. I will tell you ours...

We look at a windshield with a crack or a chip as being broken. With that being said, we always explain that to our customers. We also explain that we are not manufacturing glass but rather attempting to repair thier broken windshield, so there will always be some scaring and it varies. Further, we let them know how unstable broken glass is and that there is a very remote possibility that it could become unrepairable during the repair process, therby creating the definate need for replacement. This is also in our release to work on there vehicle that they sign. We do this for insurance purposes.

We did not create the customers damge, and we are trying to help preserve thier windshield which provides many other benefits as well. We do not replace our customers windshields at our cost but we do make sure they are educated about replacements so they can choos there shop wisely.

That is my outlook and how we would handle this scenario should it ever happen.(Knock on Wood)!!!!

In the end you have to go with what you believe is right for you. Dosent matter what I think. Good luck.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
screenman

Post by screenman »

I do not pay if I break a screen, that said I make every effort to make sure it does not happen and like the last post I tell the customer all the things they do.
Every time this happens it is a must to find the cause, there a many reasons. One of the regular one we find over here is down to moisture being pushed to the end of the legs and having nowhere to expand to due to resin behind it, when it does expand, which it will be doing all the time on a warm day, the only thing it can do is make the legs longer, also you have mentioned that it was a cloudy day what type of UV shield were you using if any? please answer this question it helps with our research.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
glassdude

Post by glassdude »

Have them sign a work authorization form BEFORE you start working on the windshield.
Below is a sample of what I use. You can use it too to cover your ass if a windshield cracks out during the repair. Change it as you see fit to reflect your company.
---------------

Repair Authorization

I authorize (insert your company name here) to attempt repair on the chip/crack on my vehicles windshield. I understand that the purpose of the repair service being performed is to prevent further cracking of the windshield, and that upon completion of the repair, the damage may still be slightly visible. I understand that the damage is a week spot and I agree not to hold (insert your company name here) liable should the windshield crack out while attempting this repair and that there will be no charge for the repair should that happen. Since your windshield is already damaged and we are attempting to repair the damage from spreading further, (insert your company name here) is not responsible for the replacement cost of a new windshield.

All work is warranted for as long as you own your vehicle.

Customers signature:_______________________________
---------

Have this printed on two part carbonless paper from your local printer or from a service on the internet.

Good luck and have fun.
-Jeff
CV Windshield Repair

Post by CV Windshield Repair »

Too much pressure from an injector, too much pressure from a injector holder on the glass, too hot of a windshield. I have found either of these or a combination of them will cause a break to spread.
Zach's Glass

Post by Zach's Glass »

thanks for your input. thanks Jeff for the tip on the authorization form. i was not using a uv shield,i believe after reading other post i think i might have had to much head pressure, along with a warm windshield. will take other messures in the future. thanks again rosco
screenman

Post by screenman »

I cannot believe how many people do not use a uv shield. Do me a favour next time you turn up at a job in the shade put a small bit of pit fill on the undamaged part of the screen and place curing film over it in most cloudy conditions it will cure in less than a minute. You will be amazed how much indirect uv there is. This pitfill will scrape off easily.
This curing effect is happening to the resin you are trying to fill those legs with. The resin manufatctuers are making us thin resins lets not thicken them and wonder why the job does not work.
A lot of poeple I have trained push down on the bridge when they are releasing the suction to remove the bridge, this is another time crack out occurs, you should all have all been shown the correct way to remove a bridge as part of your training.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
mrchip

Post by mrchip »

well zach these are all lessons we learn in life and business/ sorry the window broke/ ive been in business for 20 plus years and i have never had a problem with telling customer i am not responsible for replacement if it should crack out... would you replace or would the customer expect a replacement if you were charging 50.00 and the window was a expensive window like a bmw or mercedes?? i think not // some things are just out of our control... it would take a lot of repairs to make up that expensive window i did replace a jeep cherokee window that cracked out on me a long time ago because i forgot to warn them of the possibility/ i learned my lesson and have not had a problem since
CV Windshield Repair

Post by CV Windshield Repair »

I like to use a couple of small towels over the injector, not only does this prevent the UV rays from affecting the repair but will also keep the windshield around the repair cooler.