holy crack!!!!!!

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
FRIK

Re: holy crack!!!!!!

Post by FRIK »

Re; holy crack!!!
you indicated that the windshield cracked as you "reached out to take the bridge off". The problem might occured when you leaned onto the glass. (if you did.) It happened to me once. While I was working, the motor dealer leaned onto the right hand side off the screen, I was working on the left side. at that moment I wasn't touching the work area. As he touched the glass it cracked on my side, not long, about 2 inches. He saw it and asked what happened. so I told him it's because of the uneven pressure on the glass. he accepted it later and I repaired the damage.
might be the problem there also.
Frik.
NO BETR WINDSCREEN REPAIRS. KIMBERLEY SOUTH AFRICA
toab

Post by toab »

I have noticed this inderect uv effect even in the shade on a sunny day and also even when I had the bubble on.I think what is happening is that uv is going inside the car and hitting the repair area from the inside of the glass for which i hav'nt figured out a fix for this yet.Anybody agree with me?
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

I do not know if our glass is diffrent over here but if we put a uv lamp inside the shield and pit fill on the outside it will not cure.
A lot of firms tell the techs to cure from the inside first, we do this display in training to show that most of them do not know what they are talking about and it is a waste of time. Most shield nowadays give fantastic uv protection to the occupants of the vehicle if not we would get great suntans.
Please try this quick test and let me know your results, us guys need more feedback from what we post. make sure there is no uv coming from the outside for a true test result, I do not mean just put it in the shade.
Please just take a couple of minutes out of your day.
We can push this business foreward more if people will only try what others suggest and give back some comments. We try as many suggestions as possible to further our knowledge of this trade and so that we can pass it on to others.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
toab

Post by toab »

I have a fairly powerful delta kits long crack uv light but it still is no comparison to a blue sky summer sunshine when it comes to curing resin up quickly I have found.
GlasWeldTech

Post by GlasWeldTech »

I have always been led to believe you COULD NOT cure from the inside.
Layne

Post by Layne »

UV Rays. Because of their wave length, I have always been advised that these rays have a very shallow penetration depth. The UV spectrum,unlike the narrow focus of laser light, are not prone to cause extensive damage to materials. But it does have the unique ability to cure our resins.
maxryde

Post by maxryde »

Sounds like stray UV's to me Toab. While most UV rays travel line of sight they do bounce around a bit and with the bubble you can still get some strays, try using a second cover like a rag when waiting for a cycle to take place for a little extra cover.
My best mentor one said " be fair with your priceing but never too low, be honest with your customer/competition, when the day is done be sure you have done "good works", and always leave something of value on the barganing table!!

While my friend and trainer/ mentor Ray has moved on, his words live.
toab

Post by toab »

Did some testing today and screenman was right that you can't cure from the inside so the u.v. bouncing around the inside of the car and hitting the repair from underneath theory is definitly 'busted" (no pun intended).I took an old w.s. and put some resin and cure tape on the underside of the shield and sat the shield in the july sunshine for a while and it did not cure untill I turned the shield over so that the resin was on the outside of the glass.
Dependable Dave

Post by Dependable Dave »

SGT and glassdude got it right. I didn't break the glass, you did. I'll attempt to fix it within the boundaries of my disclaimer. If I can't fix it, you'll have to replace it at your cost. Now, do you want me to proceed? Sign here.

In ten years, I've had 3 windshields crack out on me. Man! What a horrible feeling in the gut! Anyway, the last time it happened was a few months ago on that new Scion XC or whatever that little coupe is called. I think the glass is VERY thin. Even so, the manufacturing process for glass is such that it's full of stress areas. You can see them if you buy or build a tool called a polarizing filter...no, I don't think that's the name but I'll find it and repost. Anyway, it's really not practical to use. Just don't act like a bull in a china shop and apply too much pressure, like a couple writers mentioned above. That's pressure from screwing your injector too tight against the glass, too much pressure on the resin (it only takes a tiny positive pressure to make the resin flow, although you may have to flex the glass to help it), and too much pressure from leaning on the tool during the process. No matter how careful you are, it could still happen to you...cccccrrrraaaacccckkkkkk! Lay the rules out for the customer before you ever touch the car.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Dependable Dave I know sometimes the glass can just go, what we try and do on this forum is help people to look for some of the reasons behind thier problems and the things you did not do are the things other people might be doing without realising it. I am glad someone else with extensive knowledge has joined the forum I look foreward to reading more of your posts.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over