Topic Titles, Existing topics, and Staying on Topic

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Topic Titles, Existing topics, and Staying on Topic

Post by Brent Deines »

Attention all forum members:

The windshield repair forum is getting rather large, at least by industry standards, so I want to remind everyone why it is important to use relevant titles when starting a new topic, why it is important to post to an existing topic whenever possible, and why it is important to stay on topic as much as possible.

I don't mean to pick on any one person as many of us have posted a new topic with an unspecific title at one time or another, but a perfect example is a recent new topic posted with the title "One with, One without. With this title the topic could be about anything, but it was about how to tell if there is moisture in a break. Good topic, with that title most people will never find it with a topic search. A better title would be "How to tell if there is moisture in a break" or "What does a break with moisture in it look like?" That way anyone who searches for "moisture removal", "moisture in a break", or "moisture" is going to find that topic. Please do not use topic titles like "Help", "Newbie", "Question", "I'm Mad", etc. Instead, use topic titles like "Cure Time", "Drilling cracks", "Telephone book advertising", "Fleet work", etc.

Before posting a new topic, please search for an existing topic on the same subject. If you find one, add a post to that topic rather than starting a new one. It will still move to the front of the line, but will help reduce redundancy on the forum. For instance, three topics were recently started about moisture in the break. They were titled: Dryout, Damp in the repair, and One with, One without. All of the posts in each of these topics should have been posted to one of the many prior topics posted on the same subject. If you cannot find a relevant topic, then by all means start a new one with a relevant and specific title.

Whether you start a new topic or post to an existing topic, please try to keep your posts relevant. If we start out discussing moisture in the break, but then switch to drilling, or gas prices, the topic title no longer accurately reflects the subject being discussed. This makes searching for information unnecessarily time consuming and frustrating.

None of us have a lot of time to waste these days, so paying attention to topic titles, searching for existing topics, and staying on topic, will help all of us to find the information we want faster, and will greatly reduce the amount of time we spend sifting through redundant and unrelated posts. As the board continues to grow this will become increasingly important.

Thank you!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
fishing1

Re: Topic Titles, Existing topics, and Staying on Topic

Post by fishing1 »

BRENT....great points...I have not paid to much attn to topic but u r so right.............specific topics save time and will get more replies.....save time yesss .....time is our most valuable asset thanks for the direction!!!
windshieldwiz

Post by windshieldwiz »

seemingly some topics are off limits....ie.....wr techs are easy on nga.......an association that would like to see wr go away...techs should support nwra.......why go thru issue to support the nga(SGT)...........i am relatively new to wr but I spent several months researching ......you see the nga take no stance on safelite.....as they are being investigated for fraud...fraud bigger than enron.........techs need to wake up and support associations that lobby in their interest....wr is a money saving
environmental......honest, decent profession...........Not all windshields can be repaired.....nor do all need to be replaced!!!!NGA is in the glass business not the repair business.........So techs that support the nga ....with membership fees higher than nwra...and certifications ....well they are supporting replacement not repair........
SGT

Post by SGT »

You know since you called me out here, my only rebuttal is read my posts pertaining to certifications and you will see my position.

Other than the fact that I bear an NGA certification I am not sure why you chose me for your reference to the NGA. If you have an ax to grind, find a different stone.

How about filling out your profile for us all.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Im not a windshield repair guy but I play one on TV so you should take my advice?
By your own admission you havnt been at this very long and have been reading wait till you have been earning a living at something before you start making statements about things you really dont understand yet and more importantly why are you spending any time on stuff like orginizations when as a new person time would be better spent getting better through practice and banging on doors growing you buisness this should take twice as much time as you have worry about joining stuff after you have been earning for awhile and can actualy decide what does and doesnt work
Word to the wise as far as SGT goes Dont Poke The Bear! the guy forgot more today about WR than you will ever know he and I disagree on some things but that doesnt mean I dont respect him for his acomplishments
windshieldwiz

Post by windshieldwiz »

OK. I am a newby. I can accept advice. thanks
moonlighter

Post by moonlighter »

good forum advice , will do my best to abide by it. ive found good info reading the posts so i decided to register. ive been done repair/replacement since 93' and am trying to break out on my own repairing with an Aegis hand pump kit i get good results with. hope to learn some new tricks and share any ive picked up over time,thanx.
David Cantino

Post by David Cantino »

I am just starting to become very interested in opening up a rock chip repair location. After looking at this site I want to find out how you get "Practice Glass" or if that is something you get with training?
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Kgobin »

David Cantino,

I would like to formally welcome you to the windshield repair forum. There is a wealth of information on the forum and technicians from across the world. When you attend Delta Kits Factory Training & Certification Course you get hands-on training and you are able to take the practice glass home with you at no charge. Also, you can order a 20x20 piece of practice glass from Delta Kits.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
kentcrossfit
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by kentcrossfit »

You can also call a windshield replace business, and ask them for a windshield that they replaced. I did it, had one the next day. I understand this post is like 5 years old, but for future class repairers.