plate glass repair

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Chris Sparry

W/R for a living

Post by Chris Sparry »

How many people do plate glass repair? is it worth the investment in a kit?

What other add-on services do you offer, and how do they do?
boyd

Post by boyd »

Chris, I've done some and they turn out pretty good. It's very simple. Here it goes: Put a piece of tape on the outside of the glass (small hole). Go to the inside and tape a piece of curing film across the bottom 1/8" of the large hole. Fill it to the top with (pit filler) of the film and cure it. Put another piece of curing film a little higher, over the other piece and add more pit filler. Do this til it's to the top. Cure as you go. I took my lawn mower battery with me and hooked my lamp to it. It's not fancy but it will work. I did scratch the inside of the hole before I started so the resin would adhere to it. When you are done take off all of the strips, use a clean, sharp razor to scrape and polish. It' works ...... I've done it. For my curing film I use strips of plastic binders. Like the book report folders that you used in H.S. that has the colored strip going down the side. You can buy them for about .50 at office max. and use them for a very long time. The film must be stiff. The flimsy stuff will not work.

Good Luck BOYD
boyd

Post by boyd »

Chris, contact me at bboyd@fced.org if you need further assistance. I almost bought the vertical injectors along with the backing plate until I thought of this. I'm sure they work a little faster but I couldn't find the vertical injector to go with my bridge. Glass mecanix offers the injectors but again will it fit your bridge.
starman

Post by starman »

hi boyd I have done about two plate glass repair both came out good took about 1 hour to do and about 90.00.but they are hard to find. If they have cracks in them they are not safe.