5 minute repairs?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
WIN-1

Post by WIN-1 »

Hi Karen
Nope you did fine, posting observations as you did helps us figure out do's & don'ts of the business as it evolves. Sharing information freely amongst ourselves is a good thing, I just have a wierd sense of humor & didn't intend to have anyone take me seriously! You're a hard-working, very nice lady I would be happy to call my friend!
Speaking of observations and evolution, did anyone ever figure a way to get potential customers to allow us to simpl;y
'wash their windshields'?
I noticed that it's like picking up pecans, once you get bent over and clear away the leaves, you find a bunch of them together!
When I wash a windshield, I use a squigee and prop the wiperblades back. The other day at the wrecking yard I found one pickuup with bullseye after bullseye once I got in there close. One nasty one turned up that I wouldn't have ever seen without moving the blades for closer inspection.
My question is- Would potential customers equate this offer with a wino on the corner wanting to wipe a filthy wrag on their windshield?
Thanks
Ken
shermfiddle

slingshot

Post by shermfiddle »

Well...I stopped by the 5 minute repair tent and actually watched this guy repair some damaged windshields from a close distance. I was appalled and disgusted as to what I observed. All this guy did was to pretend that he was using his injector (two minutes) and then place curing film on the damaged area (2 minutes) and then scrape off the cure and polish (one minute)! I looked closly at the repair and there was still air in the breaks that he did. The amazing thing was that there were 4 people sitting in their car while this guy was performing his charade! I'm convinced that these folks didn't know any better? What a shame. I certainly hope that this was an isolated case and NOT indicative of the policy of the home base location in Tacoma Wa? We need to take our time to do the very best repair and perform to the highest standards. How can this guy sleep at night? I am proud of the repairs that I do for clients. "I still love this business"
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

There is an outfit in the city closest to me that touts '5-min-repairs'. They operate at a chain of 3 or 4 carwashes. Their work leaves a lot to be desired, and I have done a lot of reworks on their so-called repairs... that is how bad their work is... that it can be reworked with very little effort. All they do is squirt some resin on the break and cure it ... some of the clients I have done the reworks for have remarked 'he never did THAT... when I started to set up the injector. These guys are setting windshield repair back 20 years with their sloppy work and their sheister ethics. How can we stop them, does anyone have a suggestion?
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

"5-min. repair "

Post by Coitster »

Goldstar,
Unfortunatly I know exactly what chain you are talking about. They are also in Dallas and a bunch of other states. We arn't going to stop them, because there are other companies that do that also. What happens is every few years they and other companies like them change their names, start new corporations and start all over again. They know that their name will be ruinned after a while. They don't care about quality work, all they care about is getting the chip money.

These kind of companies will always be around, I hate to sound bleak but its just the nature of business in general. We just have to educate our customer bases and continue to build on that base enlarging it as much as we can. It is because of companies like this I have agree'd to teach people how to repair the correct way for free. I am trying my little part to change the industry one person at a time. Thats all really any of us can do.
David
Coitster
Glass
shermfiddle

Post by shermfiddle »

Perhaps the Manager or Management of the shopping mall should be informed of what a good windshield repair should look like so that this incompetence doesn't happen in all locations. If they knew what his tenant was doing to his customers I think he or she would do something about it?

"I still love this business"