Rain X treated windshields

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
bmccastro

Rain X treated windshields

Post by bmccastro »

How do you deal with Rain X treated windows?
Frank EU
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Rain X treated windshields

Post by Frank EU »

Hi bmccastro, welcome to the forum. I have looked up the details re your location etc., unfortunately to no avail. How about filling out some more details in the member profile section? Like me, many other members would welcome that. You have asked a pretty good question, RainX like products are nasty indeed. However, the problem has been coverred previously here on the board, may I suggest you to use the ''search'' option as available on the forum?
It will generate some hits and I am pretty sure that your question will be answered somewhere.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

What does his location have to do with his question? Yes it has been coverd before as have most things the simple answer is clean the surface with something like alcohol to remove the stuff a Qtip works well
screenman

Post by screenman »

I believe there can be slight problems or more if RainX has got in the damage, it is not something we have ever come across over here.
adam@gtglass

Post by adam@gtglass »

There are specially-made hydrophobic coating (like Rain-X) removers out there.
Adam D. Duthie
Glass Technology, Inc.
Chips be-gone

Post by Chips be-gone »

Adam

Please tell more. What is the product that is out there for Rain-x windshields?
Chips be-gone

Post by Chips be-gone »

I just typed in "rain-x removal" in Google and Glass Technology (gtglass) popped up with X-Phobic.

I hope this helps
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I'm trying to be lenient on this one guys, but this is not the place to advertise a competitor's product. I have asked Adam to be careful about how he responds as he has been a model member of this forum so far and it would not be fair to him to get into a debate about this controversial product as he is not allowed to promote it here. Out of respect for Adam I will leave the last few posts so anyone interested will know where to find the product mentioned.

You all know my feelings about injecting anything other than resin into a break, and a search for rain-x will bring up a ton of information that has already been posted. I will just leave it at that.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
J.T.Window

Post by J.T.Window »

If the rain-x problem is on the surface of the glass and makes your curing tab pull the cured resin off, you can rub the rain-x or whatever off the glass with a piece of paper towel and the same resin you're using to fill the chip.
Chips be-gone

Post by Chips be-gone »

JT Window

Yes you can use the resin from a paper towel to wipe the surface of the chip area. But if the rain-X is in the break it is harder to remove. You can inject your resin in the break and all it is going to do is come right back out when you do a vac. cycle.

Not sure how this X-Phobic stuff works, but they claim it does work...
You may want to call and ask about it or just buy it and find out for your next rain-X job.

I guess we will not be able to have Adam explain how it does what it does.. We will just have to rely on anyone that may bought it.