Honda repairs

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Dave M
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Honda repairs

Post by Dave M »

I wanted to follow up on a topic brought up by Mike Boyle on Feb. 4 regarding Honda windshields being removed from repair programs.
I just found out yesterday that a Honda Element could not be repaired but had to be replaced! The windshield had a simple star break on the upper passenger side. I believe that an OEM windshield was being used.
This was at a major Honda/Nissan dealership. The Element was a 2006 and could have been easily repaired. The service manager told me this was a new certified used program from Honda that no longer allows windshield repairs. Here we go!! Let's pray this is not a sign of the times.
Dave M

Re: Honda repairs

Post by Dave M »

I wanted to ad a thought to my post....this windshield was being installed by a "tech" with under 1 year experience installing, and not certified!
So, Honda is willing to remove an original windshield and risk an improper install for what?
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Dave M wrote:I wanted to ad a thought to my post....this windshield was being installed by a "tech" with under 1 year experience installing, and not certified!
So, Honda is willing to remove an original windshield and risk an improper install for what?
You asked ''for what?''
The answer is as simple as it can be.
It got nothing to do with safety, it is all about an attempt to get back the glass work in their own work shops. To get back the work and the revenues. That is what this is about. You see, the dealer ships have lost their grip on the glass, most customers seek direct contact with glass-shops or repairers, and that hurts. Something like this has been attempted before, by other groups, but back than, it was not succesfull. I honestly do not believe that this new attempt will last very long and there are two reasons;
1-From a legal point Honda has no say at all whether the glass is being repaired or replaced. After all, Honda is NOT the owner.
They may come away with it, only when it is a leased vehicle. In general it is all wrong and indeed STUPID not to repair when a repair is an option!
2-Moves like this are NEVER in the customers' best interest, Honda is taking away their right to choose and that is not only illegal, it is also wrong allround.
At the end of the day it is the customer who is going to pay for this stupid new Honda guideline. Also; Honda is abusing it's power and abusing the customers' faith in good, professional and honest service.

Today, with the economy as it is, it may only enforce the Buy American idea. No Honda for me, that's for sure.
t4k

Post by t4k »

I have been told the same thing by a Toyota dealership...."It is a certified used car and I have replace the windshield". The Lexus dealership next door requests my repairs on their certified used cars, they don't want to replace. The manager at Toyota is now gone and the manager wants the certified cars to be repaired first before the non-certified.

I think it is mainly what the manager wants not what the car manufacturers are requesting.
t4k

Post by t4k »

After thinking about it a little more, I've had a Chevrolet dealership that would rather put in a new W/S in the past. Now that their sales and profits are down, they have become my best customer again. It is a cycle....just hang tight and it will come back to you again. 8-)
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Kgobin »

When this was first brought up I called American Honda Motor Co. and they denied having any knowledge of the information Mr. Boyle posted. In addition, I was told that each dealer is individually owned and operated so they can endorse repair or replacement.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
t4k

Post by t4k »

Thank you Korey...that supports my two previous posts.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Kgobin wrote:When this was first brought up I called American Honda Motor Co. and they denied having any knowledge of the information Mr. Boyle posted. In addition, I was told that each dealer is individually owned and operated so they can endorse repair or replacement.
Korey, come on!
What you were telling made me laugh, thank you for that! I really believe that you have placed that call, why not.
I do not believe that the American HONDA Motor Company will ever admit that they are pushing/endorsing any program that is totally against your law.
Of course they denied it!
I for one do very well believe that it is possible and even very likely that something dirty is going on. They (car dealers) are all keen to get more business.
Having said this, the locations that are owned and operated by ''independent'' dealers (what does that mean anyway? no official dealer is totally independent!) may indeed very well be able and willing to ignore this silly new approach.
But there are certainly locations that are company owned, and that may be the places where they are testing their new ideas.

What do you think, would the American Honda Motor Company be willing to put their statement (as verbally made over the phone) officially in writing?
I doubt it!
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

So, when a servive manager or used car manager tells me that the Honda certified used car program does not allow for windshield repairs, it's just a bunch of BS ? It's the individual dealership deciding whether to allow repairs or not, based on what their profit margin is at.
t4k

Post by t4k »

Dave M wrote:So, when a servive manager or used car manager tells me that the Honda certified used car program does not allow for windshield repairs, it's just a bunch of BS ? It's the individual dealership deciding whether to allow repairs or not, based on what their profit margin is at.

That is my opinion, Dave. Apparently, Frank thinks there is a conspiracy going on to ruin the W/S repair business :shock: