Cleaning of Injectors

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
CraigVM62

Cleaning of Injectors

Post by CraigVM62 »

I have a couple of questions on cleanup of injectors....
I found a few post that mentioned cleaning injectors with denatured alcohol. In my case, there is a good chance I could go several weeks to a month between doing any repairs so I am guessing it is best clean the injectors well between uses. What is the best way to thoroughly clean up injectors, eye droppers, syringes... Do you need to soak them in denatured alcohol or simply rinse them.
Thanks
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Cleaning of Injectors

Post by Brent Deines »

If you are using Delta Kits windshield repair equipment be sure to clean your injector after every use with denatured alcohol. Rinsing thoroughly and then storing the parts separately in your covered tool box is the recommended method and you do not have to remove the seal to do this. Soaking is okay if you remove the seal but not necessary. If you do soak be sure you allow all the alcohol to evaporate prior to using the injector for a repair. If doing one repair after another you can use compressed air to blow off/out the injector between uses, but if it will not be used again immediately be sure to rinse with denatured alcohol.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Kgobin »

I know that Brent touched on how to properly clean the injector but here is a short video detailing the process.

Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
shermfiddle

Post by shermfiddle »

Many years ago I was told by an old time W/S fellow to get a glass jar (i.e.pickle) and insert all the parts of your injector into the jar. Then take regular alcohol preferably 90% Isopropyl and pour in one or two teaspoons into the jar then screw top on and leave overnight. The small amount of alcohol will create gas and that's what cleans all the old resin off and all you have to do is rinse each part off with more alcohol and its clean as a wistle! "I still love this business!"
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Kgobin »

Sherm,
Denatured alcohol has less moisture content, dries quicker, and cleans the injector more thorough than isopropyl. Therefore, Delta Kits recommends using denatured alcohol to clean the injector and I agree, I love this business too! :P
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

It depends on what type of injector you use my LR Resinator doesnt get cleaned often its made to have some resin on its gaskets the others get cleaned with alcohol
CraigVM62

Post by CraigVM62 »

Thank you for the great information. The video especially. I am very much looking forward to the Delta training class just a bit over a month away.
PG Bullseye Repair

Post by PG Bullseye Repair »

What I've seen on the forum, manuals, and videos, is the injector gets cleaned with the seal in the injector, do you ever remove the seal to clean the injector, ex. over night, long weekend ect., or do you never remove seal unless you are changing it out for a new one (after 10 repairs).
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I don't soak my injector for extended periods of time so I never remove the seal. There really is not need to do so. Delta Kits injector seals are very resistant to alcohol and windshield repair resin. You may find that other brands harden and shrink in alcohol or soften and swell in resin, so always follow manufacturer recommendations.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
GLASSTIME

Post by GLASSTIME »

Brent,

So would you not reccomend leaving them in the cleansing jar until the next day or unti lthe next repair. Even if its 3 or more days?

I have noticed that sometimes when I have to remove the old seal and replace it I have seen small fragments of what seems to be dried resin.
It usually is behind the seal where the seal sat in the injector. Im not sure, Yet I take a towel and dab a bit of denatured alcohol on it and rub out the injector. This removes these balls of dried resin or whatever it is.

I usually thoroughly clean all my equipment at least once a week! I rub everything down with DA!!!
Chad E. Clewis
President
GLASSTIME Windshield Repair & Headlight Restoration

"Its What You Put Into It That Counts"