Star Runner!

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
GLASSTIME
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Star Runner!

Post by GLASSTIME »

I cant believe this happened, Well I can its only a matter of time.
I got a Job with a client today on a Chevrolet 1500 Truck today.
The weather has been mild alot of rain the past couple of days mostly downpours at night!

This damage was a Very "Nasty" Star! I applied my moisture evaporator for 20 seconds and began hearing a crackling sopund which Ive heard before. However I wasnt thinking the worst when a leg began to run upwards about 12" Man my heart fluttered! I quickly gained control of my posture and spirit and completed the repair.

The temp of the glass was around 89 F.

After this sudden incident I had to fill the void w/ pit resin cure and drill through cured resin due to the P.O.I being larger than seal end. Still to that effect the end results of the star was somewhat more visible than what ive repaired in previous repairs.'

The crack filled PERFECTLY!

I do have a question when doing a star of this degree (ea leg was 1.6' long do you typically treat those legs the same as a crack?
What are some crucial steps to take to maybe preventing the runny leg? If any! Maybe this is something out of our control.

Afterwards Customer chose to File with Insurance and they denied him due to this being his 6th claim with in this physical year. This was my first time and a learning experiance all around in one shot. I was going to just let him have it at no charge, Yet he pulled out cash and paid me for the repair!

What do you guys in a situation like this?
Chad E. Clewis
President
GLASSTIME Windshield Repair & Headlight Restoration

"Its What You Put Into It That Counts"
Frank EU

Re: Star Runner!

Post by Frank EU »

Personally I don't like using the 12V moisture eveporator, or Drystar, on a star break. That the crack-out filled easily is no surprise; it was a fresh break.
Normally, most, if not all, crack outs are pretty easy to be repaired. And yes, it has happened to us as well.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Oops, didn't answer the last question..... we normally would charge the repair, because that is what it is right? You DID perform a service, the result was good, so what would be the problem?
Also: in my situation star break sometimes do crack out, just because I am easy going and my drill on stars almost as a standard.
They crack because of the sudden change in temperature.

Again, you repaired the damage, even when the result may be a little below your own expectations, the customer was pleased right?
I wouldn't worry too much over this Chad, you did the right thing.
GLASSTIME

Post by GLASSTIME »

Frank,

Yes I will say he was very pleased. As Before the repair began and on our initial contact day I explained everything with him including possibilities and what to expect before and after the repair!

I even have scheduled his PT Cruiser Headlight Restoration for Two Weeks Monday!

I only asked because we all were under the impression he has full coverage and he was so excited to be getting it for FREE yadayada!
So i guess with the big HEART I have I felt a little pressure. But from experiance Those who speak forst loose, well I kept quite after I said NO BIG DEAL he then pulled out cash and paid for the repair!

All that brings me to another question.

If say your doing a chip and the chip runs a leg is this still considered 1 chip repair at one price or would additional charges apply for the run?

If you are doing a Chip and theere is another chip right beside it yet both are connected by a leg would that be considered 1 or 2 chips?
Chad E. Clewis
President

GLASSTIME

Post by GLASSTIME »

Frank EU wrote:Personally I don't like using the 12V moisture eveporator, or Drystar, on a star break. That the crack-out filled easily is no surprise; it was a fresh break.
Normally, most, if not all, crack outs are pretty easy to be repaired. And yes, it has happened to us as well.

Frank if you dont use any of the tools such as stated what do you use to DRY OUT Chips?

I figured this would be good reading for Newbies and alike!
Chad E. Clewis
President

Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

If this would happen to me: I would charge for just ONE repair. In both situations. That would, in my opinion, the one and only right thing to do.
Why would I be charging for two? Would it make me that more rich or feel better? I don't think so. Honesty will always pay off and is so much better than just the quick buck.
GLASSTIME

Post by GLASSTIME »

I like your response!

Well thats what I did, Charged for one!
Customer was shocked that I wasnt charging him additional for the Crack!
It was a Win - Win!

THanks Frank!
Chad E. Clewis
President

Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Don't be mistaken, I certainly do use the dryer on stars, it is just that I do not like it at all times. Also; star breaks are very tight, it does not require to be dried out like we dry out other breaks like bulls' eyes-in my opinion. At least; I have never had any problems not drying out like a bulls' eye. Screenman may want to eat me alive, I don't know, we'll see.
screenman

Post by screenman »

You knew I was going to disagree on that one, I can prove to anyone who wants to come and see me that star breaks do indeed fill with water, very quickly.

For most breaks larger than the drystar I use a micro torch and the new chill tool. For long cracks it is compressed air everytime.
GLASSTIME

Post by GLASSTIME »

Screenman,

Are you referring to the "Aluminum Slab" (Chill Toll) Trick?
Chad E. Clewis
President