I'm thinking about it....I need help/advice

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
jwill07

I'm thinking about it....I need help/advice

Post by jwill07 »

Hi all

I came across the Delta Kit forum and had several questions. All insight is helpful. Realistically how much am I looking to spend to initially start up this business, for starters lets assume a single bridge system as my kit. I am very new to this and I wanted insight/advice before I invest. Is it worth it? Is it difficult to get started? What marketing avenues are you guys taking to drum up business. Ive read something on here about you guys registering into some insurance network (safelite,lynx, etc) can you expound on that? Is delta kit the way to go for kits? I seen a deluxe kit on ebay see for $400 and it seen decent? (Do I consider?)
I also was looking at a glass pro system kit? But this seems like to interesting business to start-up I guess im a little hesitant/scared. How has you guys' experiences been in this business, starting up and up to now? How much on average do/you make, is it really possible to do 10 to 30 cars a week, is there that many windshield cracks? Is there anyone who has transitioned WSR into a full-time job. Do I have to be certified to do this, or is it just smart to be certified to be 1st considered and reduce problems that way? I know I have alot of questions but it seems like you all are very knowledgeable so I look forward to your insight, if I have missed anything that I should know please feel free to add.

Thanks in advance.
Jonathan

Re: I'm thinking about it....I need help/advice

Post by Jonathan »

jwill,
First of all, welcome to the windshield repair forum. You will find of wealth of good information here if you take the time to look for it. I would encourage you to use the "search" bar at the top of the page as most of the questions you asked have been discussed on this forum previously. Also, you may feel free to call into Delta Kits anytime as it is usually easier to answer numerous questions like you have over the phone rather than in written form. Anyone here can give you honest answers and there is no high pressure sales pitch. Again, welcome. I hope you find everything you are looking for.
jwill07

Post by jwill07 »

Thanks Im at work right now, I understand I can search but if someone has the time to give me the links to my questions or if you can just reply to my questions in my post, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Frank EU
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Frank EU »

jwill07.....welcome to the worlds' largest windshield repair forum. Like Jonathan (a DK employee) told you, there is a lot of information available here. You can spent days reading. But you may also want to save yourself a lot of time, just give DK a call. You cannot go wrong with their products, training and support, it truly is a winning combo. Re the initial investment; you can go as crazy as you like, but you have very decent starter kits at affordable prices. Be sure to include a UV dome and Moisture Dryer, 2 bridges would be the best way to go, even for a fresh newbie like yourself. Get a training. Finally: the demand for our service is huge. Whatever you do: succes and be good.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

By the way: where are you located at?
bsh21wash

Post by bsh21wash »

My costs so far have been:

Business License - $25
Insurance - $171 for a year
Logo/Business Card Design/ Brochure - $125
Setting up with A.C.T - $25
Tools - 300

I still need to get some NCR's made up, logo done on my truck and a couple of other small things.

However I did three Insurance jobs yesterday within an hour netting $180. So the money is there.

By the way State Farm called me yesterday and denied me from being on their list...Has this happened to any of you guys?
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

bsh21wash: Some may want you to be a litle longer in business, I don't think that this is a bad thing to be honest since there are too many fly by nights (No, I am not saying that you're one!) and then there's also not trained people. Also: one could normally expect more experience after some time past by, ie: a better product and technician. Again, I don't think that it is all that bad to be putting new operators on hold for a certain period (if that is what they are doing).
That being said: other new guys do get work pretty quick after they have ''joined'' this trade but that may be related to the fact that they operate in rural areas with little or none competition. State Farm......I don't know.

Just $300 for tools, for your initial investment in tools, sounds very low to me to be honest -was it pre-owned?
t4k

Post by t4k »

I've been in the business for over ten years full time. You can make as much as you want...six figures is easily within reach.
t4k

Post by t4k »

Every question you asked has been answered numerous times in the forum. Spend some time, do your own leg work and find the answers to your questions.

Good Luck!
bsh21wash

Post by bsh21wash »

B300 bridge and injector bought used from delta but in great condition For $195
Then resin, pit resin, polish, curing tabs another $100

Buddy gave me dremel, curing light, picks, and some other small things.

I still need some more stuff, but what I have has got me through repairs.