Referral Programs

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Starbrite

Referral Programs

Post by Starbrite »

Have any of you been successful soliciting these to car washes, lube and others? If so, how are you presenting these? I've tried in the past working with glass replacement shops but it hasn't fared well. I'll send them replacements but have a very hard time collecting on referral fee and they never throw me a bone for a repair.

Just asking.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Referral Programs

Post by GlassStarz »

Just so you know to 99% of the replacement guys you are a tick or flea just a parasite living off thier lifeblood. You will get no referals they make thier living doing replacements it takes the same time to replace many windshields as it does for most good repairs and the bigger profit is in the replacement so do the math. There are alot better places to spend your time looking for referals
I have found there are many different places that do auto related products who are always looking for new products to sell and with a proper sales pitch you can convince them to offer WR. Rather than a referal I sell a Mark-up I tell them to charge the customer $25 more than my price this way im a sub contractor the boss is happy with more money in the till and I get extra work. I have a couple RV places that I work this way I get 3-5 repairs a week out of them and it works well.
just chippen away
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by just chippen away »

I personaly have auto services that I would go to my self to help refer work to and for me, and I refer work to them. I only have the best of the best services in my circle of referrals. I have a tint, stereo, tire, detail, auto body shop, mechanic shops, Tow truck service, and a replacement shop that does do repairs.

The glass shop uses the glass medic or mechanic, not sure. The one that takes a big vac cup with an injector in the center. They can not get close to the center and can not do large repairs so they cam me to do the jobs they can not do...
The other services mentioned are mom and pops and we all work close to each other. We do not give each other referrals, we just refer each other for our services.

If we need a service that each of us have we all get major discounts.
I do the tow truck service for free, in return they will tow any of my families cars for free, My mechanic just charged my A/C for the cost of the freon only, and gave me H/L takeouts from a customer that insisted on new lights (Chev Cavilier) I will restore them and sell them off on craigslist or Ebay, another set was F150 PU.

That is free money to all of us.... better than paying or receiving a referral check.
Just Chippen Away
GLASSTIME

Post by GLASSTIME »

Just Chippen Away!

I too have been known to "Barter" with others. I have recieved anything and everything from a New set of tires, Mechanical Work, Car Stereos and Installation, Furniture, TV's, Video Games you name it people offer it. You do however have to be careful. I limit those "Bartering" days to a minimum as those don't pay the bills. Never thought about selling the stuff I barter for on a site like "Craigslist" that sounds like a decent idea.
Chad E. Clewis
President
GLASSTIME Windshield Repair & Headlight Restoration

"Its What You Put Into It That Counts"
just chippen away

Post by just chippen away »

I receive the headlights from the mechanic's with them knowing I am going to restore them and sell them off or if they have been damaged in a fender bender they will be for demo showing, I do their personal vehicles for free and reduce the price on the cars in the shop so they can make money of the sub out service also. I do not do a lot of freebies on these folks, we all know we can not give the farm away, like you said we all have to pay the bills also. But we all have an understanding that we are all working with each other and if we need a fever we can call it in any time, (just do not abuse it).

Last year was a bad year on the towing for us, every car in the family tree needed to be towed for service, so I just told the tow company supervisor I will repair there trucks for free as gratitude if they tow us for free. The owner did not know we were doing this till last week when he needed my service. He was blown away on what we been doing. Chips and cracks is a major red flag for tow trucks and an expensive fine. (win win) They had a emerg. flash bar light for the top of the tow truck that they took off and I traded for a H/L restore on one of their trucks. That will be restored on half of the lights and used for car and home show. Now all I need I a noisy siren. NOT!

I think that this thread changed direction, but you can see what you can gain even without paying for referals with the right companies...
Get your self an alliance to work with. You all will gain from it.
Just Chippen Away
quietman

Post by quietman »

I do a lot of advertising on the web with both WSR and Headlight Restoration. The WSR ads tend to bring in about 90% of people who want windshield replacement. The ads all say rock chip repair only and I do not replace windshields but it still is 90% to 95% replacement. Now what I'm doing is not based on referrals but selling the leads or one way referrals to replacement shops. I make sure they are a reputable shop with reasonable prices and I make sure they offer mobile service. I ask for a commission of no less than $25.00 based on trust and if they don't pay, fine, I then find a new shop to send the business to. Some times I will act as though I replace windshields and have the repair shop bill me at a wholesale price and I will mark up the invoice and make my money that way.
robert n

Post by robert n »

quietman wrote:Some times I will act as though I replace windshields and have the repair shop bill me at a wholesale price and I will mark up the invoice and make my money that way.
Question for "quietman": is this a mobile repair? If so, how does the customer react when different company (other than yours) shows up to replace the windshield? How do you handle the guarantee or warranty?

Respectfully,
Robert
mrchips

Re: Referral Programs at car washes and lube centers

Post by mrchips »

GETTING REPAIR BUSINESS FROM CAR WASHES AND LUBE CENTERS

This information is designed to help you establish yourself and your business as the "on-site" expert in windshield repair, at the car wash.

The one advantage to working with a car wash is, that you are able to stay there all day and have the work come to you. Here's how to do it:

Find a full service car wash in your town or a neighboring town, one that you would be proud of associating with professionally. Perhaps, it is one that you frequently visit to have your own vehicles cleaned. Inquire as to who the on-site manager is and make an appointment with him or her.

BENEFITS, BENEFITS, BENEFITS

When making the appointment with the manager or owner, it will be important to have in mind the benefits that the car wash will enjoy. The manager will be asking himself "What is in this for me and my company?" I suggest that you prepare your initial approach using the following guidelines as a rule of thumb. To start with, the car wash is already worried about having cars go through the wash with "dings" in the windshield. Sometimes, the chips will migrate and travel while going through the wash.

Even though most car washes have disclaimer signs on the premise stating a warning that outlines the risk associated with previously cracked glass, they are constantly defending this policy with customers. I know from personally working with car washes that the management team and owners will almost always welcome this service with open arms.

You will want to mention the percentage of the repair price that will go to them. I have seen 25% to 30% and have personally used 25% to 30% of each ticket, for their profit.

TRIAL BASIS

When I first started this in a local chain of full service car washes, the manager of the main store allowed me to "experiment" for one month.

Now going into this arrangement I knew a couple of things, having been a previous car wash customer.

I knew that the employees were almost always courteous. (So I figured that customer service with "no-pressure" was probably important to them - so I promised a "no-pressure, no-hype" approach from my employees.) I assured the manager that we would dress in nicer clothes (no T-shirts) and would pattern our behavior after the already successful behavior of their best employees. I wanted the car wash manager to end up at the end of the interview wanting and asking me to come aboard. I did not want to "bull" my way through the approach with promises that I could not or was not likely to keep.

PRESENTATION BOOK

Next, I prepared a "presentation" book. I went to the local stationary store and bought a 1/2 inch 3 ring binder. I bought some plastic sheet protectors and went home to "customize" a little book, outlining and reemphasizing just exactly "what was in it for them."

I had a cover page with their name on it, stating something like "SUPERWASH" (Use their Name) is proud to announce guaranteed windshield repair sponsored by Auto Glass Express (in smaller letters than their name).

The next page I entitled "Opportunity" and I used some general information statements like "Every windshield that comes through THE CAR WASH is a potential customer." The next line said something like "End your worry of having the windshield damage on customer's vehicles travel and break the whole windshield."

YOU CAN ALSO INCLUDE:

"You can add windshield repair to your car wash and have the repair done by the time the car is done being wiped down." (benefit- the customer waits no longer than regular wash in most cases)

"You can have their insurance company pick up the bill (most insurance companies will waive the deductible under comprehensive coverage and pay for the repair in full).

Next line- "Increase profits to your facility."

Then on the next page at the top, I would start with examples of actual repairs, for example: "Each repair averages $40.00 for total repair, 25% is for the car wash, or $10.00 for each repair. Then I would give them a daily example like: If your car wash averages 200 cars per day (a medium to low volume car wash) then you might expect to repair on the average, 10 cars (5%).

Although your final percentages may be higher, it is always wise to underestimate what the results may be. Ten (10) cars per day in our example, times the ten dollar average "share" would mean the car wash will realize and extra $2,600.00 to $3,000.00 per month! And all of this without any work or risk on their part!

You may want to add a page to your presentation book on how your company will do all of the work. ie..."We will do all of the customer billing" (and of course the car wash will receive a copy of each repair - because we use 4 part invoices). We will also give the car wash a copy of the status (some insurance companies take several weeks to pay) of the customers billing, who had the service done, (when the service is billed through their insurance company). And yes, even a line explaining your 100% guarantee! (Emphasizing "No down side risk" to the car wash).

How can they loose? The truth is they can't! Offer your services for a trial period of one month, tell them when you'll be there, how you'll approach the customer, how they can expect to be paid and so on. The details of these items will all be covered as you read on.

Another page you may add to your presentation booklet may include some statements that reflect the quality of service, and benefits for the car wash owner.

You may add "In most cases, Quality Guaranteed Repairs are performed in the same amount of time as your regular wash. Each technician is factory trained".

"Most repairs are paid for by the Insurance Company - no cost to the customer." "It's like washing the customers car and having Turtle Wax pay for it!"
Having windshield repair as an "on-site" service, will not only enhance profits, but lesson the risk of existing damage spreading (a common problem in any car wash).

The above information should give you enough ideas to secure an agreement for the local car washes to at least try your service for a month.

DO WHAT YOU SAY YOU WILL DO

How you conduct yourself according to how you told them you would conduct yourself is a pretty good gauge they will use when determining whether or not they want you to stay after the first month!

If you deliver a little more that you promise (and remember you should promise a lot - and make sure you can deliver what you promise) then the chances that you will continue a long and rewarding relationship will be almost guaranteed!

LUBE CENTER IDEAS

Having this service in the lube center market is a great way to have a steady income and not have to go to more than one place each day. Here are a few suggestions that I have used in the past to have our technicians do repairs daily and make money for the lube center operator without exposing him/her to any risk or the perceived hassle of all of the paperwork.

Finding a Qualified Lube Center

The first thing that you must do is find a busy lube center (40 cars a day or more) and obtain a working relationship with the owners and operators. Check the local area around your home or the area that you want to do this business for.

Make a list of the lube centers that are company owned and privately owned. One way to determine whether or not they are corporate owned or privately owned is to call the place of business and ask! No need to go into detail at that point, all you want to do is to determine the ownership and the possibility of multiple store ownership. Some lube centers are owned by local individuals and some of these same individuals own multiple locations. Is this good or bad? It could be great!

The fact that you have gone to the trouble to make a list of all of the lube centers in your town is one indication that you are serious about making this a viable profit center for yourself and your company. The fact that some are owned by individuals vs corporations, may help you expand with extra employees and help you determine which lube centers are the likely ones to develop just a one on one relationship with.

ADDING EMPLOYEES

The ability to expand and have many employees is such a great one that the decision to do so is entirely up to you and your desire to either stay as a one person operation or to expand and have your leadership skills utilized to their fullest degree. Some will choose the first and just as well, some will choose the later. We will shed light on both options and let the final decision be one that you can explore, once you have a comfort zone established.

I have done both and have found that I was better off if I could watch myself and not worry about so many other things, plus I like my freedom and I don't need to be commanding the armies to be happy. Although I have had a very successful business with many employees at one time, it conflicted with my other interests in life at that time. And, it is not to say that someday I would not go back to having the employees and the extra responsibility.

Now back to the lube centers. Now that you have the list of the lube centers in the area of your interest, and I am assuming that you have called them all to determine the nature of the ownership and the number of locations, it is time to narrow the list down to the "ideal' candidates you want.

THE CHOICE OF HOW TO WORK

Number one, you can choose to go yourself and do this at one location, and/or two, you could manage others while they do this service for an owner of more than one lube center. The choice is yours. Find a way that works well for you. Of course you will have to hire help if you have more than one location.

FINAL NOTE

Get a relationship with a local replacement glass shop (even if they also do repairs). You will be able to refer unrepairable windshields to them. And, in most cases, they may give you a finders fee. this is a great position to be in because, there may come a time when the customer's repair fails for some reason (should not be more than about one in a thousand) and you will want to know someone who will replace the glass for a reasonable fee, or help the customer with his deductible on replacement. It may not even cost you any out of pocket money.

Having a relationship with an owner/manager of a fixed location like a car wash or lube center is a great idea.......Hope these little ideas are helpful to you, they have kept us busy and we've had some great success and fun doing it!

Good Luck and Happy Chippin!
candyman

Post by candyman »

MR.Chip

I have the sales program I got with my kit. I have a problem advertizing "Free WSR' in any of my ads. I have discovered during the past 15 months that the vast majority of the people I do repairs for, DO NOT have the coverage needed to meet that statement. I live in an area that most people know each other or a member of their family. When the word Free is thrown out people here will tune you out, because they are waiting for the hammer to drop. Its considered bait and switch in the minds of many here. I give my custmers a cash price, then I tell them if they have insurance that will cover the repair, I will accept the fixed price allowed by the insurance carrier. That way there is no misunderstanding of the price. Many choose to pay my fee to avoid insurance claims even if they are covered. Other than that your plan for the carwash appears sound. The words "what if" is used often in the sells field to solicit customers based on % of volume. I dont know very many people that walk around with $30 or more on them. So if you found 10 cars out of 200, how many might have the money at that time and will need to have it done at a later date. The #1 car wash here, will not wash 200 here in any day. They average during week days about 25 - 40 vehicles and Friday / Saturday 75 -100 per day. Even the busiest detailing shops average about 20 per day in this area. They call me when they have a HLR or WSR and I go. If I can't get to them at that moment, I get the customers number or they put that person on the phone and I schedule the service then. I cant afford to pay 25% to a vender. I average paying about 12.5% for referals If Its a HLR, I pay less in most cases or 16% or more for WSR. I am not sitting there and waiting for a customer that may or may not materialize. My prices are geared for my area. I sleep nights and my customers feel like they got a bargain. If I lived in a larger city with higher incomes, I would adjust accordingly. I look at all the positives and negatives of sells. I am school trained in Dale Carneige and Lee Dubois motivational sells techniques. For those of you in this business you only need to know a few things to help you. #1 Suppose for the Moment and #2 What If. These are phrases to uncover dominant buying motives. Example; The customer tells you that he doesn't have the money at this moment to pay for your service. Your response. What if you had the money now, would you buy my service. If he answers Yes stop selling and work out an arrangement. If its a female customer and she states I need to talk to my husband first. your response. Suppose for the moment your husband agrees that my service is needed would you buy my service. If she states yes, stop selling and close. Too many times you will loose a customer because people don't know when to stop selling. If the person tells you no in either case, ask open in questions untill you discover the true reason why. I have 3 unattended car washes here that do more business than the detail shops or attended. I like the idea of your book. Staples will bind it for less than $10 with a finshed/polished look.
gekog

Post by gekog »

"You will want to mention the percentage of the repair price that will go to them. I have seen 25% to 30% and have personally used 25% to 30% of each ticket, for their profit"

I am just thinking that if car washes would love to see us there, might it not be cheaper for us to try to strike a deal where we pay them a fee for space and say a 5% bonus after a certain number of repairs (for example - $25.00 per day plus 5% of repairs after the first 5). This way, they are still an extra $500.00 per month and another possible $500.00 if you do 100 qualifying repairs at $50.00.
I am thinking that if we are in fact adding value to their business by being there, then we may not need to pay through the nose to make them happy?