How to make a business be successful?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Nickjenni2

How to make a business be successful?

Post by Nickjenni2 »

I really want to start my own WSR business, but I live in the metro Atlanta area and there are literally hundreds of WSR businesses. How can I make my business more attractive than all the others and how do I compete with a company that has been in business for 20 some odd years and I am just now opening mine? I really want to own my own business, but I just don't know what I have to offer to customers that the shop down the street can also offer with more experience. Any advise on how to make you business just as successful as the business down the street would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: How to make a business be successful?

Post by t4k »

That is going to be a tough one and I am sorry to say I have no ideas for you. You are in a totally saturated area and the established guys there are fighting and cutting prices to stay alive. I am in a much smaller area and I am one of the guys who owns a business that has been around since 1976 and it is tight right now. I only do dealers and fleets but I am having some of my customers cut back a bit to save a few dollars.

Sorry I couldn't help but good luck!
just chippen away
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by just chippen away »

You would be better off working for someone else and learn the trade. Find the best company with the best rep.. Most will pay a flat low salary to fall back on for bad weeks, and will pay a you on a good commition. The harder you work the more you make with out the ownership headaches.
As your customers start saying "you should open your own" THAT is when you should look into opening your own service, you have proven your self at that time. and will be respected by the other shops and will get there overflow or you can give your over flow.... That is how I work with one shop out here.
Just Chippen Away
Kgobin

Post by Kgobin »

Nickjenni2,

Welcome to the forum! I am from Atlanta, GA and I have some tips and pointers that should be able to help you so please contact me at your convenience.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
Nickjenni2

Post by Nickjenni2 »

Thanks guys for all of your advise.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Good question Nick. Also: welcome.
But you should be aware that any answers given here, and ideas shared, will be noticed by your competitors too. So what would be the point to be sharing all these great tips and ideas. Also: sometimes your'e better off having some tailored advice, and often you are better off having those not shared publically.

Just do your own thing and shut up when you have an idea, keep it to yourself and be successful in whatever you do. Basically: be professional and reliable, offer a good service at a proper price (proper is NOT being the cheapest!).
Get some professional training too, contact your system-supplier and schedule your training a.s.a.p.

And if it remains to be difficult, frustrating or complicated: contact a franchisor and buy yourself a license. It gives you instant access to a great opportunity, great support and years of combined know how. Superglass could be an option. Okay, you end up paying for proper advice, but what's wrong with that?

Last but not least: do not worry about your competitors probably having 20+ yrs experience. You will never be able to catch up with that, but you can be different and even better.
Nickjenni2

Post by Nickjenni2 »

Frank EU,

You make a very good point. I kinda feel stupid now for posting the question.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Nickjenni2 wrote:Frank EU,

You make a very good point. I kinda feel stupid now for posting the question.
Don't!
There simply is no reason why you should. Just make sure that you will be amongst the best in your area and you will be doing just fine.
It will take time though....and probably more than you expect. Again: no gain without pain.
GLASSTIME

Post by GLASSTIME »

Nickjenni2,

Nick I am going to send you my email address and phone number. I am not from Atlanta, However I am in a city right next door called Charlotte, NC. I too am not only aware of the many companies around me but I too see new ones everyday! Here in my area they are flooding the Carwashes. Just do this if I am unable to send it to you I give Korey at Delta Kits full permission to give my contact info to you!

Email me and I will reply with a great time you and I can chat for a awhile!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Don't give up!
Chad E. Clewis
President
GLASSTIME Windshield Repair & Headlight Restoration

"Its What You Put Into It That Counts"
Kgobin

Post by Kgobin »

Nickjenni2,

I see that it is 95 degrees and sunny in Atlanta today, so I hope that you are staying cool and enjoying the weekend.

Forum members will not have full use of all board features until "after" they have posted a minimum of 10 posts. Features that you will not be able to use until you have a minimum of 10 posts include, but are not limited to, private messaging, e-mailing, posting photos, and viewing photos. This helps avoid spam on the board and protects the privacy of windshield repair forum members, so running up your post count with illegitimate posts will not be tolerated and may result in a ban from the board.
Time2Shine wrote:I give Korey at Delta Kits full permission to give my contact info to you!
I emailed you Chad's contact information
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.