Injector problem

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
ChipRite

Injector problem

Post by ChipRite »

Hi,
I need some guidance please.
I have two Delta I-100 injectors and I exposed one to direct sun for a while and the plunger was seized when I wanted to use it. I tried leaving in Acetone overnight, but no joy. I then heated it and got it to release, but the spring now stays loose as if it is compressed. I suspect a clump of resin is cured inside it.
Does anyone know how to take this apart to clean up the insides properly?
Thanks
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Injector problem

Post by Brent Deines »

The part is press fit and not meant to take apart. Any attempt to do so will likely make it impossible to put back together. The heat probably took the temper out of the spring so it is not likely usable. I've done this myself trying to repair injectors for customers failed to properly clean the part and/or left it in the sun. Since it was left in the sun it is not a warranty item, but if you give us a call we will make you a good deal on a new one. We like helping honest people who don't try to cheat us by claiming the part was defective!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
ChipRite

Post by ChipRite »

Brent Deines wrote:The part is press fit and not meant to take apart. Any attempt to do so will likely make it impossible to put back together. The heat probably took the temper out of the spring so it is not likely usable. I've done this myself trying to repair injectors for customers failed to properly clean the part and/or left it in the sun. Since it was left in the sun it is not a warranty item, but if you give us a call we will make you a good deal on a new one. We like helping honest people who don't try to cheat us by claiming the part was defective!
Yes, this was definitely my own fault, I should have been more careful. I am not sure I can afford a new one at the moment, but will contact you when I can. Much appreciated.
As you say it will most likely break, but at the moment it is useless as it is. Is the round shaft of the piston a press fit into the flat shoulder part? Is the flat shoulder part also a press fit into the knurled knob? if so I could maybe try to approach an engineering shop here and ask them to try and remove it so that I can replace the spring.
The cost (our exchange rate), the shipping and time factor are all handicaps to me.
Thanks.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Yes I can see your dilemma. You can try to have a machine shop take it apart and replace the spring, but since it was manufactured specifically not to come apart I'm not sure you will have much luck. I'll send you an e-mail followup with more info.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
loadie
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by loadie »

Hey guys,

I just bought a used kit and one of the injectors is completely seized as well. I have it in the alcohol to see if it will clean up. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Dan
screenman

Post by screenman »

Is it stuck in the extended position? if so you can carry on using it as a solid injector. If not then plenty of heat may help, failing that get onto Delta for a good deal and get out there repairing. It is a good feeling standing back and watching those injectors earn you money.
loadie

Post by loadie »

Problem solved. I soaked it in isopropyl alcohol over night and then used my superman muscles and boom, she worked really well. No heat or tools used at all!

Now onto solving the portable batter pack charging woes!
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

Part of my kit is a black water resistant u.v. proof bag.
When I remove the injector from the repair, I put it in the bag while I apply the pit resin and cure tab.
The injector stays in the bag and out of the light until I have time to clean it.
paulrsf

Post by paulrsf »

After every repair, after applying pit resin and a curing tab, I take my injector apart and it goes straight into denatured alcohol for a couple of minutes. While the pit resin is curing, I wipe down and dry the injector and put it back in my took box. It takes a bit of time to follow this simple procedure after every repair but it has also spared me the hassle of having an injector freeze.
Paul R.
loadie

Post by loadie »

That's now my practice!

I'm also practicing with the injectors, not making out soooo well. I have the Glass Pro system, right now, I like that one a whole lot more! Mind you I just started practicing today! Lots more to go. I'll have to take the course, problem here is there isn't a course close to me at all!!