pressure ring

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Hubcity ws repair

pressure ring

Post by Hubcity ws repair »

did a repair today on a bullseye, and it left what i now know is a pressure ring, i used the delta bridge assembly with the hands free and through talking with tech support found that i may and most likely did put too much pressure mounting the bridge before i even started the repair. it looked really good other then the ring and the customer asked about the ring. since i wasnt to sure what it was i figured moisture. i hadnt ran into this on my practice repairs. i offered to return her money, and she said that she couldnt do that since i did repair it. ive looked up old posts from years back to find out other reasons this happens. when dealing with customers is it wise to state up front all the things that could go wrong in an effort to cover my butt. or explain why something may have happened after the fact. i dont want to be dishonest and do the best work possible but i dont want to scare them off either
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: pressure ring

Post by screenman »

Undersell and over deliver, pressure rings can occur for a few other reasons, age of break, how hot the glass, too much piston pressure and the list goes on.

Please if you do not know what moisture looks like or how it reacts then please get the practise screen out again and do a lot of wet breaks, I mean really wet. Make 10 damages of different styles, take the glass out in the yard and leave the hosepipe running on it for 10 minutes or more, then carry out your repairs.

It is extremely dangerous to your future business on anyone's for that matter to go out on the road without all the skills required. Each bad repair carried out and lets face it 90% are bad gets us a lost customer, trying to stop the rot should be every bodies aim.
t4k

Post by t4k »

screenman wrote:Undersell and over deliver, pressure rings can occur for a few other reasons, age of break, how hot the glass, too much piston pressure and the list goes on.

Please if you do not know what moisture looks like or how it reacts then please get the practise screen out again and do a lot of wet breaks, I mean really wet. Make 10 damages of different styles, take the glass out in the yard and leave the hosepipe running on it for 10 minutes or more, then carry out your repairs.

It is extremely dangerous to your future business on anyone's for that matter to go out on the road without all the skills required. Each bad repair carried out and lets face it 90% are bad gets us a lost customer, trying to stop the rot should be every bodies aim.
"Hosepipe". Gotta love the Queen's English. :D
screenman

Post by screenman »

What should I have used? hose maybe. I try my best to translate my thoughts into the USA style but it is sure not easy. :)

Now thinking about it mate I was born 10 miles from Buck house (Buckingham Palace) by my reckoning that means I speak better English than most. Now just got to give the old trouble and strife a shout and get up the old apple and pears to the uncle ned. With a bit of luck I will get a bit of Hackney Marsh to fix tomorrow.
t4k

Post by t4k »

screenman wrote:What should I have used? hose maybe. I try my best to translate my thoughts into the USA style but it is sure not easy. :)

Now thinking about it mate I was born 10 miles from Buck house (Buckingham Palace) by my reckoning that means I speak better English than most. Now just got to give the old trouble and strife a shout and get up the old apple and pears to the uncle ned. With a bit of luck I will get a bit of Hackney Marsh to fix tomorrow.
Say what???

I love it Screenman. When I first got out of college, many many years ago, I worked with a man from Bournemouth. He taught me a little of the Queen's English. He was from down south though, so I am sure it was a little different dialect than yours.
DryStar
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by DryStar »

t4k wrote:
screenman wrote:What should I have used? hose maybe. I try my best to translate my thoughts into the USA style but it is sure not easy. :)

Say what???

I love it Screenman. When I first got out of college, many many years ago, I worked with a man from Bournemouth. He taught me a little of the Queen's English. He was from down south though, so I am sure it was a little different dialect than yours.
And how does any of what you wrote in this post pertain to the original pressure ring question? None of it...does it? Why don't some of you learn to PM each other? Not to offend, just being honest.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I agree with screenman, pressure rings do happen for a variety or reasons and the severity can very greatly. Was it quite severe or similar to the photo below? Korey was kind enough to add a red arrow pointing to the slight pressure ring around the edge of a bullseye. Although I prefer not to see any at all, something like that does not bother me in the least. Air left in the break, now that is bothersome.

I also agree with screenman about how to sell your service. If you tell the customer the repair will look at least 80% better when you are finished but you guarantee it will not crack out they should be quite happy with the result even if there is a pressure ring, but if you fail to set an expectation, or set the expectation too high, they may be disappointed in the completed repair. You will get very different reactions to the same repair based on the expectation you set prior to performing the service and I have never scared anyone away by telling them to expect 80% cosmetic improvement. I'm always confident I will achieve better than 80% improvement and nearly always the repair exceeds the customer's expectations so they are very pleased with the result.

I also never react negatively to my repairs even if I am occasionally disappointed in the improvement of cosmetic appearance, but instead ask the customer to have a look and let me know what they think. If they are happy and I know the break is completely filled I have no problem charging for the repair. If they are unhappy with the work I have performed give them the "option" to pay for the repair, assuring them that regardless of their opinion of the cosmetic improvement I stand behind my no crack out lifetime guarantee. They nearly always pay but if they don't there are no hard feelings on either side.

That said, if you had major flowering and don't know why you should try to re-create the problem on a practice shield so you know what to do different the next time around. It's very difficult to say what the problem was or how I would have handled it without at least seeing photos, and even then I'm not quick to judge if I can't see the break first hand.

Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
t4k

Post by t4k »

DryStar wrote:
t4k wrote:

Say what???

And how does any of what you wrote in this post pertain to the original pressure ring question? None of it...does it? Why don't some of you learn to PM each other? Not to offend, just being honest.
You are so right. I am truly sorry if my off topic post upset or offended anyone. I will try to refrain from these types of posts in the future.
Hubcity ws repair

Post by Hubcity ws repair »

brent, the repair I made was similar to the picture as far as the ring. My opinion is that it was severe. I couldn't see it from 3 feet away but sitting on the inside of the vehile looking out I felt it looked bad. The inside didn't have any black air pockets, it was pretty clear. I must admit that this was my first repair for a stranger. I've done a lot of work on practice windshield and the company I work for lets me practice on our fleet vehicles. I've worked on friends cars and done pretty good work. But there is always room to improve. I did everything wrong I feel on this repair. Expectations, quality repair and talking to the customer gathering info. I'm making a checklist to save myself the embarrassment and grabbed my practice windshield and am practicing some more. Thanks for the advice screenman on wetting the repair to see different issues. We've been in a drought for over 9 months
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Sounds like you are are your own worst critic, which will probably make you a good technician. I'm still pretty hard on myself as well but windshield repair is not a perfect science no two breaks so thinking every break will completely disappear just isn't realistic. Don't beat yourself up too bad!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.