A question about long cracks limitations on ROLAGS

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
BrightFastWSR
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

A question about long cracks limitations on ROLAGS

Post by BrightFastWSR »

I have a question:

According to ROLAGS in Chapter 6 "Repairable Dimensions" referring to " cracks no longer than 14 inches", does it mean a single crack no longer than 14 inches?

If there is a crack shaped as "V", but the total length is no more than 14 inches, is it still repairable?

If if does, how about a crack shaped as "Y"(two straight cracks shaped "Y") and the total length of the cracks no more than 14 inches?

By the way, how do you get rid of moistures in long cracks? Thank you.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: A question about long cracks limitations on ROLAGS

Post by screenman »

Not sure about ROLAGS. To dry out long cracks I use compressed air, using this method I can dry most long cracks and the rubber seal in a few minutes. If you do not get the water out of the seal it will keep filling to damage.
Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair

Post by Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair »

The aerosol cans for cleaning pc boards and such? Not too much of a chill?
Vikingfann

Post by Vikingfann »

I repair up to 18" total length (straight line or "y") with a full money refund for as long as the customer owns the vehicle if the repair ever changes and can't be rerepaired. Longer than that increases the possibility of the repair failing to the point that I don't take the chance. I was having a few long crack repairs fail until I changed to Delta's best resin about 6 months ago. Since then I've had no reported problems. I did repaired a 24" crack on a $800.00 Mercedes windshield with the agreement that failure would result in only half his money back since it was longer than my normal limit.

Jere Ellis - owner
Attack-A-Crack Windshield Repair
Lake Elsinore, Ca.
screenman

Post by screenman »

All the places I do long crack repairs at have compressors, even my own workshop for those that come to me.
BrightFastWSR

Post by BrightFastWSR »

Vikingfann wrote:I did repaired a 24" crack on a $800.00 Mercedes windshield with the agreement that failure would result in only half his money back since it was longer than my normal limit.

Jere Ellis - owner
Attack-A-Crack Windshield Repair
Lake Elsinore, Ca.
great job! Did that 24" crack extended to two edges of the windshield?
screenman wrote:Not sure about ROLAGS. To dry out long cracks I use compressed air, using this method I can dry most long cracks and the rubber seal in a few minutes. If you do not get the water out of the seal it will keep filling to damage.
I also checked windshield repair standard of BSI, about the crack it is said like this:
"Repairs to damage crack(150mm max. ) apply to HGV(Heavy Goods Vihicles) and coach windscreens only"

Why both standards in USA and UK set up a long crack limitations in length ? Thank you.
Vikingfann

Post by Vikingfann »

great job! Did that 24" crack extended to two edges of the windshield?

No - I've never repaired anything extending to two edges because of instability and likely failure. The one exception to that was an expensive front door to a custom home that had stained glass windows in it. One of the pieces at about belt level had a 3" crack across it edge to edge. The repair hid the crack looking down from eye level but it was still quite visible at belt level. I told my customer that I couldn't guarantee the repair and he understood and was very satisfied.
screenman

Post by screenman »

For the BSI there was few replacement companies with committee members on board, if I remember correctly. Funny thing is BSI says no repair in A Zone, ministry test says OK as long as the damage is then contained inside a 10mm area and is barely visible.
puka pau

Post by puka pau »

The criteria of every so-called "standard" described by ROLAGS or others is based more in politics than in physics.

Cheers;

Puka Pau
BrightFastWSR

Post by BrightFastWSR »

Vikingfann wrote:great job! Did that 24" crack extended to two edges of the windshield?

No - I've never repaired anything extending to two edges because of instability and likely failure. The one exception to that was an expensive front door to a custom home that had stained glass windows in it. One of the pieces at about belt level had a 3" crack across it edge to edge. The repair hid the crack looking down from eye level but it was still quite visible at belt level. I told my customer that I couldn't guarantee the repair and he understood and was very satisfied.
Thank you, Vikingfann. Your experience shared to me let me decide to repair a 20" long crack on the windshield. I had it done yesterday and it took me about 6 hours to finish the job.

I use the resin data as below:
Density:18CPS Film Tensile Strength: 6800 psi Adhesive Tensile on Glass: >1500 psi

The resin has filled the 20" long crack fully and then be cured. this long crack started from the upper edge of the windshield and then curve to the Car co-pilot direction, shaped like a lying "L", but not reach the other edge of the windshield. I drilled a 0.047inch hole with a tapered bur and then made a small bullseye to end the crack, then filled the bullseye and the whole crack with above resin. It was a new crack, no moisture inside.

Can this repair make the windshield as strong as before? Thanks a lot to everyone who involved in this topic.