How do you make the repair outside in winter?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
BrightFastWSR
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

How do you make the repair outside in winter?

Post by BrightFastWSR »

The winter is coming here, so my question is: how do you make the repair outside in winter when the temperature below 32F?

I plan to buy an electric blanket so that I can use it to pre-heat the whole windshield to appropriate recommended repair temperature . Do you think it does work or not? Will the windshield be liable to crack if I heat the whole windshield with an electric blanket applied on bed? How do you repair the windshield in winter? Thanks.
Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: How do you make the repair outside in winter?

Post by Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair »

Head south young man, head south! :D
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Are you being trained sir?

It is an ongoing issue here on this board... the importance of a proper training.
Even if you follow the advice above to head South (-;
DryStar

Post by DryStar »

Just use the defrost. Many times I'll call 10 minutes prior and have the customer do this for me on a medium setting.

What were you planning on powering the electric blanket with?
Glasseye

Post by Glasseye »

Come the frosts, the demand for windscreen replacements doubles, as the chips that weren't repaired shoot off into cracks. As a repairer, what you have to avoid is rapid uneven heating/cooling of the glass, especially on star breaks. Dry out the damage well and remember to keep your resin nice and warm as well.
DryStar

Post by DryStar »

Aside from Glasseyes recommendations, I'd also always keep UV lamp warm. If the bulbs are cold, they're not very efficient for curing.
BrightFastWSR

Post by BrightFastWSR »

DryStar wrote:Just use the defrost. Many times I'll call 10 minutes prior and have the customer do this for me on a medium setting.

I prepair to place a electric blanket on the windshield to heat the whole windshield to around 80F in advance and take advantage of the electric blanket to maintain the temperature between 70F~89F during the repair.

Would you please let me know if you think it is feasible?
t4k

Post by t4k »

BrightFastWSR wrote:
DryStar wrote:Just use the defrost. Many times I'll call 10 minutes prior and have the customer do this for me on a medium setting.

I prepair to place a electric blanket on the windshield to heat the whole windshield to around 80F in advance and take advantage of the electric blanket to maintain the temperature between 70F~89F during the repair.

Would you please let me know if you think it is feasible?
How long do you think it will take to warm the w/s to 80?? Sounds like a lengthy process.
Glasseye

Post by Glasseye »

To be on the safe side, I work on a minimum temperature of 13C ( 55F) and normally use the cars heater, but be careful of uneven heating of the glass, especially when repairing a star break, close to the edge of the screen. I normally set the heater to floor heat to avoid heating the glass unevenly when doing this type of break.
mend master

Post by mend master »

While an electric blanket is an interesting idea, I have to go along with those that question the viability and the time factor. Never did get an answer as to how it was going to be powered, but nevertheless, it seems like more of a reinventing the wheel exercise than something that is practical. Using the vehicle's own heating system in the winter is the normal and effective method, just as using the vehicle's A/C effectively cools the glass in the summer.