Ins or Cash?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Daveycrewcut
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Ins or Cash?

Post by Daveycrewcut »

Auto glass claims are made under the comprehensive coverage (other than collision) such as theft, fire, vandalism, hitting a deer etc. When people used to carry $50 and $100 deductibles it usually cost the insurance company to replace so they offered to waive the deductible if a repair was agreed to. Then along came air bags and the importance of maintaining the factory seal for as long as possible so it still makes sense to waive deductibles even though they are usually higher now days. Most insurance companies only increase comp coverage premiums when their actual claims have exceeded or are projected to exceed the premiums + costs.

If repairing, indeed saves money then one might conclude that they help keep the premiums from going up so fast. In our state, the insurance company must show on paper why an increase in comp coverage premiums is necessary to the department of insurance. If the department of insurance agrees, the increase is spread over all the policies so that the increase is divided equally and does not affect one policy holder more than the other.

It is highly unlikely that one little comp claim would have caused a major premium increase because it would only affect the comp coverage premium and not liability, collision, towing , medical expense etc.

Here in the states it is called C.L.U.E. and the insurance industry does indeed keep records of loss reports. Sometimes even if it is just an inquiry and not a "claim".

Maybe some day insurance companies will consider windshield repair as a "good" claim since the insured is trying to be conservative by saving the existing windshield and "preventing" further damage which would require the manufacture of another windshield and the disposal of the old one.
Cryatal_Image
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Cryatal_Image »

that might be another great sales method to mention to a customer. we usually get X aount of $$$ from the insurance BUT, a claim is a claim and could raise your prems. We recommend not claiming or saying anything to your ins co. and i would make it affordable to you by doing it for $25-$30 bucks to help you out IF you tell your friends, here are 3 businesses cards..lol
revive

Post by revive »

Glasseye wrote:
Cryatal_Image wrote:Some people have reported an increase in their prems just for reporting a claim for a simple rock chip fix.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?
We had a discussion about this a short while ago. It has been found, in the UK, that insurance companies build up an individual profile of their customers which is shared with other companies. The TV programme showed several examples of people who have reported property damage to their ins. companies without making a claim but this has affected their premiums because they were now seen as a higher risk claimant i.e. more likely to make a claim in the future. I would not be surprised if this type of "database" existed in other countries. The question is, can you gain access to this to see what is noted on your profile.
Requests for personal information held on CUE (the claims and underwriting exchange database) should be addressed to:

IS & Compliance Officer
Insurance Database Services Limited (IDSL)
Risk & Compliance
Linford Wood House
6 - 12 Capital Drive
Milton Keynes
MK14 6XT

Here's a link to an article about the BBC "Watchdog"programme http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/consume ... claim.html
ChampionCHIP,wsr

Post by ChampionCHIP,wsr »

25 -30 bucks i would wonder why so cheap. we got to get more than that for a repair, this is our profession you never see a doctor, lawyer, clothing stores shoe stores etc. dropping there pants to get that customer. i my opion it sends out a poor message , like this is not a legit business
just my opion,
paul
DryStar

Post by DryStar »

Cryatal_Image wrote:that might be another great sales method to mention to a customer. we usually get X aount of $$$ from the insurance BUT, a claim is a claim and could raise your prems. We recommend not claiming or saying anything to your ins co. and i would make it affordable to you by doing it for $25-$30 bucks to help you out IF you tell your friends, here are 3 businesses cards..lol
Don't undersell your services. My average insurance work is billed $60-$65. I may offer 20% off that for cash but not much more. Your low $25-$30 offer affects all of us!
nystire

Post by nystire »

" Take the cash fix the glass " I make more when a customer pays than when its his insurance. *** Delta Kits Certified ***
" Why Soitenly "
screenman

Post by screenman »

$25 to $30 how much does it cost you to do each job?
just chippen away

Post by just chippen away »

I am reading that there are a few of you looking petty greedy on your prices... In most cases the Ins. pays out more than what cash pays and some of you are getting more than Ins pays? Grab it while you can someone that is not as greedy as you, will cut even by a few bucks off and you will be high and dry....

I am in no way cheep for the yrs I have been in business but I am in no way the cheapest in town.... I know what it takes to pay my bills and put food on the table and reserve money.. We have folks that do not know what they are doing charging more than me and we also have tent sites low balling...

My grandpa use to say: It is easier to sell 10 $1.00 items, than it is to sell 1 $10.00 item... Means keep your prices down and you will get more business... "Food for thought"

That is why this is one of the top money making services, because some of you are starting to charge supper high prices because the customers really do not know and TRUST you... If only they knew your profit to job.... GREED. As some say, "It is not rocket science"

I can see there is a new breed of techs out here now.... :(
Just Chippen Away
Cryatal_Image

Post by Cryatal_Image »

My remark above with the figures was just an example and by no means using them. It was just an idea of me thinking out loud. I will admit that there is a windshield business not far from us which used to do reasonable chip repair, i think it was around 25 - 30 and has since been takin' over. Now they are fixin' chips for 40 - 50 which i thought was a bit high and so doesnt eveyone local.
People still have a perception of value as well. Nothing is free and if its to cheap, something about it is crap however, with that being said, you could set your prices around your competitors prices and then show your true prices using your SPECIAL or COUPON DISCOUNT for the month of feb or march. (just another idea).

I do agree with you "just chippen away" but if a system works, it works. If a business cant do a job right the first time, word of mouth gets around 10 times faster if bad than that of something good!
screenman

Post by screenman »

Most of you guys charge less than the going rate 24 years ago, understanding how much each job costs to do is a good starting point.