torch vs moisture evap. tool

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Cryatal_Image
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

torch vs moisture evap. tool

Post by Cryatal_Image »

Anyone have any pros and cons and an overall opinion for which is better? Anyone try using just a cig. lighter?
Cryatal_Image

Re: torch vs moisture evap. tool

Post by Cryatal_Image »

Cryatal_Image wrote:Anyone have any pros and cons and an overall opinion for which is better? Anyone try using just a cig. lighter?
i didnt mean the fire kind, could burn yourself, i meant the ones you find in an ash tray. Could be used with an extended cord from the vehicle and would be glowing hot at first and cool itself down within 20 sec or so. Then again, may look tachy to a customer whois watching. Ok well i just answered my own ?
CRACK N CHIP

Post by CRACK N CHIP »

they don't stay hot long enough to evaporate the water
Delta Certified Technician
Cryatal_Image

Post by Cryatal_Image »

CRACK N CHIP wrote:they don't stay hot long enough to evaporate the water
ok forget about the cig lighter, what about a mini torch vs the evap tool
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

Different horses for different courses, I use them both. Believe me in the UK to do good repairs you need to know how to dry out, pity 90% of people doing repairs over here do not know that.
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

I've tried the evaporators, but I prefer to use a torch. Either way, you need some practice to get a feel for what they can do. Both allow you to dry out breaks.... and break a w/s, I can tell you that! :P
Dr.Chipster

Post by Dr.Chipster »

Wouldn't the heat coming from a torch be too intense and cause a crack out?
Cryatal_Image

Post by Cryatal_Image »

Dr.Chipster wrote:Wouldn't the heat coming from a torch be too intense and cause a crack out?
This is why i asked the question. Ive seen many videos of both and the ones using the torch was kind of a quik brush by a few times. Even with a hand held lighter but the guy using the lighter used it on the inside of the windshield and kept the flame on the break for 30 sec or so.
Dr.Chipster

Post by Dr.Chipster »

Maybe someone will post a video or pics on how they use a torch. Delta has videos on using the evaporator.
screenman

Post by screenman »

First the torch is infinitely adjustable, the further you hold it away from the glass the less hot the glass gets.

Using heat inside, same as getting inside and pushing your thumb against the damage, not a good idea without care.

I keep the heat quite close to the glass and work around in spiral, experience and practise has told me what I can get away with, without going into the depths of temperature etc. it would be hard to be specific into how long.

Spiral and why, to chase the moisture out, heat will cause the glass to expand hit the centre first and it will shut up and trap the moisture there. Think of the Drystar will the alloy centre and you will hopefully understand my points.

Whenever and whatever heat you use allow enough cooling time, observe the damage before using heat and allow it to return to the same after, the heatsink will speed this up no end.