Stop drilling cracks, why do we go so deep?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Charlie
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Stop drilling cracks, why do we go so deep?

Post by Charlie »

I'm just wondering why we go so deep on stopping cracks, and also why cracks can't jump past the drill point?

It seems to me that it's the same as a chip, you scribe into it a little bit and fill it, the resin travels out to the tip.. repair good!

Why can't we drill into the end of a crack, on the top of it, just a little bit down so resin can travel into to, and fill to the end?
Charlie
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Stop drilling cracks, why do we go so deep?

Post by Charlie »

Just wondering why it matters to get in front of a crack, when that's not needed at all for legs sticking out of a chip.. Seems like if the crack jumps past it would still fill in. Also, seems like it would fill in fine too without drilling so deep!! ...Just drill as much as a regular chip somewhere on the crack and start filling. This wasn't how I was trained but I am very curious as to the thinking behind the extra steps that are taught! Thank you!!!
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Stop drilling cracks, why do we go so deep?

Post by screenman »

I do not drill deep, I drill and pop beyond the end of the crack, I then break the crack into my stop. It adds strength to a long crack and also enables us to see exactly where the cracks ends.