glassbytes article

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
ChipKing007

glassbytes article

Post by ChipKing007 »

I think this guy doesnt like glass medic. Whos maxwell? http://trenches.agrrmag.com/medic-to-be-maxwell/
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: glassbytes article

Post by screenman »

I have used the GM kit and I certainly did not like it, also I have had a few guys who use this kit on a daily basis come to me for training and buy a Delta kit for use at the weekends.

I asked about the GM kit on a UK forum and got replies from some very experience and respected techs, along with an industry assessor, here are some of their replies, I am not including names for now.

" As you know, I've used it. It's easy to use because it's idiot proof. The user will condition himself to work it to its capabilities and in doing so, limit his thinking. In other words, he will think if the system works, it will repair it. If it doesn't it's because it can't be repaired.

It's called RAS123 because it literally is a three step cycle. Three prompts and the machine does it. That same thinking means the operator follows a set procedure without having to intervene in any way.

Anyone who's used a GM kit will know that failed repairs (ones that crack off) rocket in the warmer temperatures. The type of damage is restricted to basic 'textbook' chips, and the position of the damage cannot be anywhere near the edge!

There's no dry out procedure either. All they have is a 'de-gas' stage which, whilst under vacuum, will draw out any air in the break.

Applying heat from the inside is common, and trainers recommend it when the break doesn't fill."

"I would agree with xxx. It almost removes the need for thinking. Follow the laminated idiots guide they provide. Also have heard from numerous sources about higher than average breakages."

"Not much I can add to what Paul and Ty have said apart from the breakage rate hi a little higher than average. In warm weather it's astronomical! I have had some stunningly good repairs, I'd say possibly some of the best I have ever had (never used the RAS head, just after my time) but in warmer weather you just can't get it out the van.2
MichaelSmedley
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by MichaelSmedley »

The Glass Medic is not available in Australia, it is use exclusively and distributed though a company called O'Brien (Belron). However, O'Brien only distributes within its own network.
Delta Kits Distributor Australia
Service 8® Windscreens
MeOnMine

Post by MeOnMine »

Hi, I am a "Glass Medic" operator for O'brien for the last 5 years.
I am only a Chip Technician I am not a glazier. I have literally done thousands of chip repairs with Glass Medic.
MichaelSmedley wrote:The Glass Medic is not available in Australia, it is use exclusively and distributed though a company called O'Brien (Belron). However, O'Brien only distributes within its own network.
This is 100% correct, except it is Belron not Obrien that makes this rule (splitting hairs now I know).
This is the reason why so much talk is so negative about Glass medic.....it is good at what it does but no one can buy it so they slander it.
I have to go cook Pizza now but if you want to hear some more from my unbiased opinion just respond and I will accommodate.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Fine please tell us your dry out system, please tell us how it repairs a 6 inch crack, how you flex a leg on the dodgy star, what do you use to drill and pop. If it is the same as over here you will not be doing any of those and a lot more.
MeOnMine

Post by MeOnMine »

First I need to understand your question.
I think you mean what do we use and how do we extract moisture from the chip.
We have a capsule of about 2ml inside a glass vile that is also inside a plastic sheath it is 90% Acetone the rest is primer.
We open the chip and we break and pour this over the chip. It enters through the impact point and if it can, through the finger or star point(what ever you want to call it).
We then apply a suction cup with -21 psi (that is what the "Glass Medic" kit is regulated at.) To evacuate the chip for 30 seconds.
We then apply the RAS head to evacuate for 1 minute over full surface, then 1 minute within the centre O-ring at enhanced vacuum (covering the impact point).

Repair a 6" crack (hey dude talk metric the rest of the wold will understand you). We do not repair cracks here, any crack is a replacement.

How do I "flex a leg on the dodgy star"? We have a Tungsten tipped impacter and we continue the break to make them meet.

"what do you use to drill and pop" All drilling is banned over here (to many idiots drilling through the PV interlayer) Impacter and probe is all we have to open impact points on chips.

I induced from the last part of your statement that we would probably do or not do a lot of the things that you would do over there, well yes I have stated that to.

Mr Screenman, I had some difficulty spelling "Impacter", I am sure you understand.

I am willing to have any discussion in regards to why Glass Medic is so bad, I mean it could be me that is brainwashed. May be it is I that has it all wrong.

I am not being sarcastic.

Wayne
screenman

Post by screenman »

Wayne, you have been brainwashed that is for sure.

Injecting acetone in does not dry a wet chip, it does however damage the PVB.

Why do you not repair cracks, well for one reason your tools are incapable, another is your company sells windscreens.

When I talk flexing I am talking about flexing a leg once you have starting injecting resin, your equipment does not allow this.

Drilling and popping, only Belron bans this, so you can see what they think of you guys working for them.

I think you may find my posts are written in English and we still use inches over here as they do in the USA, myself I am happy to use both, so for you 152.4mm of course this would be rounded down to 150mm or 15cm.

Wayne I am sure you are a nice guy but you have not been given the opportunity to expand your horizons when it come to glass repair. Blame your employers, if a repair fails they still get a sale unlike the rest of us.

I have had a few Belron guys here for training as they knew something was lacking, these same guys bought kits off me. Even the industry assessors over here know they do it wrong, but they are not prepared to stick their necks out to push the trade forward.