Any suggestions for removing tiny pits and removing yellowing on old repair?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
gyzh
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Any suggestions for removing tiny pits and removing yellowing on old repair?

Post by gyzh »

Hi,

(not a professional)

I have a car with some tiny pits (1mm) in size with no cracks or black marks, some near my line of sight. There is also a larger crack that was fixed in the past (before I got the car) but the resin has yellowed a bit. I was wondering if it might be possible to fix any of these.

Are there any experts in the San Francisco Bay Area that would be able to help fix these issues (especially some of the small pits). I went to a repair shop before and they said there's not much I can do. I was hoping to at least lessen the distortions from the few tiny pits near my line of sight.

Or if it's recommended to do it myself, should I follow these instructions: viewtopic.php?t=6392

Is there also any way to make the old repair less noticeable? The top of the pit in the old repair is yellowing. This one isn't in my line of sight though so if it's better to leave as is then I guess it doesn't matter.

Thanks!
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Any suggestions for removing tiny pits and removing yellowing on old repair?

Post by Brent Deines »

1mm surface pits with no cracks or dark spots: You can fill with a resin, cure and scrape flat but assuming they are just in the surface I personally wouldn't bother unless they are really bothering you. A thin resin will usually work best for something that small as a pit filler may not fill the scratches caused by the drill bur or scribe.

The pit area in the damage that has been repaired previously and has now yellowed can be improved by removing the yellowed resin with a drill and bur or scribe. You would then need to use a thin resin to fill in any scratches, followed by a good pit filler, cover, cure, scrape flat and polish. Pretty simple but if you have a local professional they can probably save you some time and potential headaches for a reasonable fee.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.