Add on sales/services

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
RockstarRepairs
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Add on sales/services

Post by RockstarRepairs »

Has anyone tried adding different things to boost sales? Right now I'm offering WSR and HLR, but I'm curious if anyone has ever tried partnering with a company to sell roadside assistance plans, offered other services, etc. Or have you stuck pretty exclusively to repair, and just focused on building out a large client base?
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Add on sales/services

Post by Brent Deines »

I offered auto glass replacement and I added a pressure washing service for awhile. I also added a UPS package drop service and a U-Haul rental dealership. All had their pros and cons but frankly unless you have employees I wouldn't recommend any of those and both the UPS drop and U-Haul dealership both required a fixed location and someone constantly available. I think there are a few services that you could add that would compliment windshield repair and headlight restoration but frankly I think if you invest the same amount of time and effort into those two services you will come out ahead and save yourself a lot of headaches.

Now that I am selling products I still try to branch out from time to time and so far every time I have it ends up hurting my bread and butter sales. Could be just me but I find that if I stay focused on building on what I do best I come out ahead in the long run but I do still get attracted to shiny objects and get side tracked from time to time.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

Perhaps an aside, but Brent, you are a true Montanan. Survival means not being a jack of all trades, but a master of all. I believe it is this spirit that has driven DK to be the success that it is, even though you have to be in Oregon to do it. :)
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I have to admit, I like doing winter repairs in Oregon a whole lot more than I did in Montana. I also like to pull out of my driveway without having to shovel snow for an hour first. Getting lazy in my old age! I do miss the lake in the summer however!

I know you added replacement, what other services do you offer these days Ben?
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
joeym056

Post by joeym056 »

I added waterless car wash to mine.
screenman

Post by screenman »

How does that compare in time and money earned, for instance I will do say 2 repair in an hour and earn £100 or $135 Can you get the same for a waterless wash? If not I would say be careful as you may end up spending more of your time on the lower rate, seen this happen so many times.
benswindshieldrepair

Brent, I have been doing some HLR, but I'm so busy I rarely mention it unless someone asks. If you check my orders you will notice that I have yet to refill my kit. ;) I gotta say, though, I get a great deal of gratification when those headlights turn out the way they do.
Dempsterglass

Post by Dempsterglass »

I’m a full service glass shop so replacement/repair is bulk of what I do with HLR as a big upsell.
But to answer your question I am always looking for additional revenue. The easiest way for me is when I’m doing a preinspection on a car and chatting with customer. You find other things that need fixing. Window regulators, motors, door switches, lock assemblies , handles, wiper motors, side mirrors, defrost tabs etc.
I’ve even replaced grilles, fog lights, turn signal housings, outer body trim, headliners. Mind you I’ve been working on cars my whole life, particularly customization so it’s easy for me to do anything on a car.
If you can do the work correctly don’t be afraid to mention it.
Worse they will say is no, but you’d be amazed at how often it is a yes.
benswindshieldrepair

Dempster,

That is a great point! You've got to be resourceful. When you're popping trim on cars that would otherwise scare someone away, you have the skills to do a lot of other similar things. I never even really thought of that. In the scope of keeping a car looking/feeling new, a windshield is a very important component (theres a reason why all the dealerships have dudes slapping glass in, even if there's no cracks. And even if they do a horrible job). But there's so many other plastic parts that we as Autoglass guys are capable of dealing with. I'm going to be keeping my eye out for those ad ons for sure!!!