Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

Re: Cold weather

Post by Anonymous »

How do you repair headlights?
Anonymous

repairing headlights

Post by Anonymous »

Do you mean stone breaks in glass headlights?

Basicly, you just try to create the best plug to patch the hole... it won't hide the damage to the lense. You need a clear, thick resin that cures fast. Clean around the hole and file or chip away any really thin or weak looking spots of the hole. Then dab resin behind and around the hole until you have a solid "plug" of resin. Finish like any other pit.

Some cars like Buicks and Cadillacs have headlights that pop out reallly easy. Then you can place the headlight face down and backfill the crater of the chip with resin from the inside. This looks much better than just plugging the hole, but it's not always possible. Btw, it can take a long time to cure a thick blob of resin like this.

Now, if you mean yellow weathered plactic heeadlights, thats another thing... I do that a lot more that I do holes.
Anonymous

bullet holes?

Post by Anonymous »

what system are you using for the yellow and oxidized lenses?
Anonymous

headlamps

Post by Anonymous »

My own system, actually. I started experimenting a couple years ago before I ever heard anyone else doing it. I just messed around in my spare time trying different chemicals, polishes, abrasives... whatever might work.

I have been meaning to pick the out the best stuff and package it as an affordable kit that can make a guy some good money. One thing I still have to do is find the best wax/protectant/u.v. blocker... that will keep the plastic from yellowing again too soon. That's the only flaw I see in doing headlights. For car dealers it doesn't matter really, but for retail customers, you don't want them coming back six months later asking why they are turning yellow again.

Can you post pics on here?

headlights

Post by Guest »

Quote:Can you post pics on here?

Unfortunately no, but if you email them to me, I will put them on our site and link to it for you...

Jeff Higgins
Delta Kits, Inc.
[email]"jhiggins@deltakits.com"[/email]
www.deltakits.com
Anonymous

Re: repairing headlights

Post by Anonymous »

Dustin, how long before that kit of yours will be for sale?
Anonymous

Re: repairing headlights

Post by Anonymous »

Hi guys,

If you want to repair headlamps that are damaged, but not water soaked or dirty inside yet, go to http://www.headlightsavers.com and check out their system.

Since it is a custom made cover that fits over the entire headlight, you can barely see it. It also protects against future dings...which makes the sale even easier.

I sold a bunch of these to owners of cars that didn't even have breaks in their glass headlamps just by telling them the future cost of replacement of the light will be when they get dinged. This is a great extra cash flow that'll easily make you an extra hundred bucks a week.

Simply call the dealers and get replacement prices for various makes and models that have the glass headlamps and keep them with you to show your clients.