plastic strip you can install around the edge of WS

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

Sorry, bad link

Post by Anonymous »

I remember from a couple eyars back something about a plastic strip you can install around the edge of the windshiels that is supposed to prevent chips from cracking. Does anyoen have a clue as to where that website might be or what it was called?

Thanks,

Brian Jeremiah
Jeremiah's Windshield repair
Anonymous

plastic strip you can install around the edge of WS

Post by Anonymous »

Its called "" its made and marketed by , and you can get more info from thier web site. According to them it works. Although I have never seen one on any car nor have I ever heard of anyone that has used it. My opinion is: Its not worth the money to find out.. If I am correct, they were suppose to have gotten a contract with Toyota Manufacturing to put these on all the new Toyota's. Apparently Toyota Research and Development did not think to highly of the product either. As yet there are none on the new Toyotas.

Removed company specifics per company's request

Edited by: deltakits Image at: 5/20/03 10:26:36 am
Anonymous

re: plastic strip

Post by Anonymous »

Ahhhhhh yes that is it ... thank you
Anonymous

Re: re: plastic strip

Post by Anonymous »

I apologize for giving out the "wrong" information. As, I was contacted by one of the two, Patent Assignee's (USPO, patent#'s ) and have been informed that this product is made by General Electric and is being tested for marketing under the name "Glasshield". The statement I made earlier about a "certain" supplier making and marketing must be wrong, as I was told by him. However, should you visit the fore mentioned website, there is a product for sale by the name of and is available to anyone seeking this add-on business. I did a search for Glasshield and only came up with a Japanese Company that makes a product called Glasshield 2000, it is a protective spray UV coating for the inside of windows.

Removed company specifics per company's request

Edited by: deltakits Image at: 5/21/03 7:45:24 am
Anonymous

re: plastic strip

Post by Anonymous »

well there is a better product out there than that spray on junk it's called window tint, darkens your glass and provides 99% uv rejection. comes in clear and different shades and is semi permanent.
Anonymous

Re: re: plastic strip

Post by Anonymous »

Hey Sprinter1,
Do you happen to do tinting? I am very interested in adding this service to my customers; however, I am not too familiar with the different manufactures of films and or tools. I would love to hear a little bit more about it if you do infact tint windows.

Thanks.
Chris~
WiseCrack Windshields, LLC.
Anonymous

Tint...

Post by Anonymous »

yes WiseCrackWR I do indeed tint windows and if you don't know how to do it there are schools you can attend. what city are you in?
right now I use Sungard and Madico window films.
try these sites out for more information,
http://www.tintdude.com
http://www.filmtechnologies.com
http://www.windowtintings.com
http://www.solargardpro.com

let me know if there is anything eles I can tell you, just ask the questions and I'll awnser them the best I can.
Anonymous

Re: Tint...

Post by Anonymous »

Sprinter1,
I am in the Portland/Metro area of Oregon. I did some brief research on tinting and found a school that teaches the necessary skills. It involved 6 full days of class and costs were 3,000 dollars. I do belive it supplied the tools and some film for the 3,000. How much can one charge to tint a car and what is the cost of materials to do so? How many cars do you tint on a weekly basis? How much time does it take to complete an avg. 4 door sedan? Do you enjoy it? Oh Boy, I could ask questions for days...

Oh ya, did you attend a tint school?? Where are you located??

Thank you for your time, it is truely appreciated.

Sincerely,
Chris~
WiseCrackWR@hotmail.com
Anonymous

Tint...

Post by Anonymous »

WiseCrack, I belive in oregon you can charge about 250.00 per 4 door car call a few tint shops and see what price they shoot you, ask them that you have a 2002 maxima and see what it is. most cars take me between 1 1/2 and two hours with start to finish, from getting there and getting paid to leaving some take less time and some take alittle more time.
if you go to windowtintings school I belive they had a special for 1500.00 for a week of training, what ever school you go to make sure that you are taught how to dry shrink the film and that by the time the week is up you need to be tinting a car in 3 hours.
I tint between 15 - 20 vehicles a week to include trucks. yes I enjoy it cause I'm out of the sun in a 112 ave temp durring the summer, if they don't have a car port or garage and I can't pick it up then there outa luck.
I compete with 400 tint companys in the phoenix, Ariazona area so my piece of the pie is what I can make it. serch around for the school and ask them a ton of questions, good luck, Sprinter1....................
Anonymous

Re: Tint...

Post by Anonymous »

anybody know of a tint school in the raleigh/durham NC. area ??.. if so let me know,, i have been thinking about adding tinting to my startup company,, not right away but in the future.... my addy is CarGlass44@hotmail.com
thanks.... keith... The Car Glass Company