Break will not fill

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

re: mafsu

Post by Anonymous »

Hey guys,

I did two repairs today that both turned out absolutely flawlesly! The owner of the cars is an insurance agent and was very impressed with the service that I had provided to each of her Corvettes. I would like to thank everyone who conversed on this particular thread because before I had the same troubles. The thing that I did differently was that I lightened the Head Pressure load and was able to fill the break effortlessly with less time and STRESS!!!

Thanks again,

Chris~
WiseCrackWR@hotmail.com
WiseCrack Windshields, LLC.
503-574-2662
Anonymous

Thanks

Post by Anonymous »

Great Job... Wishing you many flawless repairs.
Anonymous

re: Chris/WiseCrack

Post by Anonymous »

Glassdoc I didn't mean the injector against the glass. I meant the pressure caused by cycling the injector. The pressure against the glass should only be enough to apply a seal. However if the injector is not applying pressure to the resin when cycled it would not force it out into the break nor vacuum air out of the break.

www.ohnonotagain.com
Anonymous

Re: glassdoc

Post by Anonymous »

mafsu,

If I understood your post correctly, the answer would be yes to a certain degree. Whether you use a screw type injector or plunger type you will at the point the break is filled encounter an mechanical / hydraulic lock. At this point there is no more room for expansion and continued force will cause the weakest link to give. You will notice an increase in tension and force required to work the injector. Pressure relief is usually noticed in a breakdown of the injector to glass seal in the form of seeping or worst case scenario would be progression of damage. This is something you will notice by feel but there are also visual indicators. Oh and yes there a certain amount of force exerted on the glass just from user interaction during pressure and vacuum cycling.

If my response was out of the ball park in respect to what you were thinking, just disregard.

Pay it foward,

Brian
www.safeglasstechnologies.com

[email]"info@safeglasstechnologies.com"[/email][/email]
Anonymous

Re: glassdoc

Post by Anonymous »

I apologize for the mis-understanding. To actually feel the resin pressure, I'd still have to say no. Especially using a screw-type injector. However, you can visually see the pressure by watching the lower seal. As pressure is increased the injector will lift from the lower seal. If too much pressure is applied, the results are a blow-out (bottom seal blows out from under the injector, thus losing pressure and resin). Hope this helps.
Anonymous

re: mafsu

Post by Anonymous »

I asked the question of crackkills to find out if there was perhaps a worn out seal or other problem with the injector. Therefore causing little or no pressure on the resin to force it into the break. Since there was no mention of resin flowing from the injector seal I figure there must be some other reason than a bad seal against the windshield or a blowout for the lack of resin flow into the legs of the star. As for a problem with the injector doing it's job that would only leave a lack of pressure forcing the resin. I also use a screw type injector (esprit). It's a plastic injector, but I get excellent repairs from it.

www.ohnonotagain.com
Anonymous

Re: re: mafsu

Post by Anonymous »

well as far as pressure goes i don't take it down to much because i had read ealier about pinching it off, if you mean the injector pudh rod i did apply pressure and it was definatly in the seal. I am gonna break a few and try them tomorrow.
Anonymous

Re: Break will not fill

Post by Anonymous »

pieces of practice glass that is
Noel
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hello all,

First off Id like to say that I think its awesome that there is a forum like this where we can share tips and tricks with each other.

Now... Having said that I read over all the comments on this thread because I had the same thing happen durring training of a new tech. however, it was on a "Practice" crack repair. I have a windshield that I aquired from a local glass shop for training and the cracks are from end to end so we simulated a stopping point and tapped the hole. Now when I was trained they told me about having too much pressure ad how it can pinch off the legs so I tried backing it off and still nothing, couldnt get it to flow. we spent quite some time on this just incase it ever came up on a cutomers car and never found a soluton.

So, Crackkills WSR, I guess youre not the only one...

Ill keep working at it tho and checking back for other ideas and let you kno if we find a fix
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

When I was still new to wsr, I was called to do a repair. I followed standard procedure and some of the legs filled to perfection in no time at all. But there were a couple that would not fill at all no matter what I did. I applied more pressure, I backed off, I probed and I sweated... nothing I tried had any affect on them whatsoever. Finally it occured to me that maybe those legs were on the inside layer of the glass... and that is exactly where they were! Of course I had to give the client the bad news, and since it couldnt be repaired, I didnt get paid for the job, but it was a valuable lesson anyway. Now whenever I suspect that the break might go all the way through both layers, that is the first thing I check. Just scrape your fingernail, probe or razor blade across the line, and if it catches, the crack is on the inside.