cold weather

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

Star Breaks

Post by Anonymous »

Hello all,

Up here in Alaska I am fighting cold weather. Any problems with leaving my repair kit in the car (outside). I know everything has to be room temp or above, but was wonder about the effects of cold on the resin or equipment?

cold weather

Post by Guest »

Mitch,

Thanks for the question!

We do not recommend leaving your kit in your vehicle during extreme temperatures overnight. Leaving your kit in your vehicle during the day if you are going from job to job should not be a problem however.

There are many different pieces in any windshield repair kit that have different effects from extreme temperatures and temperature changes. In the ultraviolet lights, you can get condensation on the metal pieces from temperature cycling. The same is true for resin bottles. The suction cups stick better and the batteries in the drill and ultraviolet lights work better, when they are warm.

With our resins, they will not "go bad" if accidentally left in sub-freezing temperatures a few times, but if this happens, make sure and warm the resin and the glass to optimum temperatures before repairing.

Hope this helps!

Jeff Higgins
Delta Kits, Inc.
jhiggins@deltakits.com
http://www.deltakits.com
Anonymous

Re: cold weather

Post by Anonymous »

Mitch;

This Article came from the Janvil Star www.janvil.com/star/

TIPS FOR YOUR TOOLS:

If you store your repair equipment in the trunk of your car, you may be sabotaging your business. Repair resin is easily affected by hot and cold temperature extremes. Extreme heat will begin the cure reaction of your
UV resin and change how they will perform in a repair. Never leave your tools in the trunk. When you are done for the day, take your tools inside with you. If it is very cold or very warm, keep your kit in the front of the
car. It is also a good idea to keep your resins in the shade (under the bumper) when working on hot sunny days.

Cleaning Your Tools:
Another factor that can affect your repairs is dirty and contaminated tools. Your tools should be cleaned before leaving the job location. The best solvent we have found for the job is 90% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). A quick wash is all you need. Isopropyl alcohol can also be used for the more thorough weekly cleaning. Place your repair injector parts in a leak proof jar with a very small amount of alcohol. Close up the jar and allow it to sit overnight at room temperature. By the next morning, the vapors from the alcohol will have scrubbed

your injector parts clean. Never soak rubber injector seals in any cleaning solution overnight. These seals should be cleaned, dried and stored immediately to insure their longevity.

Hope this helps
TWR
Anonymous

cold weather

Post by Anonymous »

I talked to a tech who only brought his resins indoors out of the cold. The problem with that is that his metal injectors and bridges remained ice cold out in his trunk, and the seals were so cold they lost a lot of their flexibility too. When I mentioned this to him, he said he didnt think it mattered much. Oh, well. I still think it matters a whole lot. I park in the garage whenever possible, and when I can't (it doubles for hubby's hobby shop) ... I bring my equipment in at least, since by the end of the day it is ready for maintenance anyway, so that is no big deal. Ever try to unfold an ice cold UV screen? (yes, even in the winter in the southwest, I still use the screen). An ounce of prevention is worh a pound of cure, they say... the slight inconvenience of unloading and re-loading is nothing compared to equipment failure. Better safe than sorry.