Goldstar Rd: Mailings

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

Billing

Post by Anonymous »

Do you have a software program to do mailings?

I was looking in to making a data base, but didn't know if I should use a specific w/s repair program or someother.

Any suggestion?

Thank you '
Anonymous

Goldstar Rd: Mailings

Post by Anonymous »

No I dont have a software program for doing mass mailings.
I do saturation mailing, to all four local zip codes, using the local business association bulk mail permit (one of the benefits of membership). My directory partner and I attended "bulk mail school" in order to learn the proper procedures for doing bulk mailings (there are rules, and if not followed, the entire batch may be refused by the postmaster). Quite and education! But if you are mailing first class, that's different, although you sttill have to compy with guidelines for size and adress orientation.
Having a data base is a good idea, but not necessary unless you want to mail only to specific people. There are companies that specialize in mailing lists, but last time I looked into it, they were charging in the neighborhood of 50 cents per address (supposedly guaranteed very low percentage of undeliverables)... well, that is a big chunk of change! I am in the process of publishing the second annual business directory for this valley. We expect it to be even better received than the first one was ... and that is saying a lot! We improved the overall format, added color, and included some features that the first one didnt have. But, hey... for a first attempt, last year's was pretty good. We expect to be able to mail Thursday or Friday. The advance copies we produced look really good, and have received rave reviews too.
Sorry I couldnt be of more help than this. If you have more questions, though, dont hesitate to ask.