Favorite Windshield Replacement Tool?

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Favorite Windshield Replacement Tool?

Post by Brent Deines »

It's been years since I purchased any windshield replacement tools so I am a little out of the loop. What are your favorite cutout tools and why? Are there any cool new auto glass tools you have purchased lately for windshield or door glass installation?
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
benswindshieldrepair
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Favorite Windshield Replacement Tool?

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

I've been silent too long. I'll dive into this:

My favorite removal tool nowadays is the KONG. I haven't found a removal that requires a wire that this will not do. Granted, I still do a lot of knife jobs but on the exposed glass, this is my go-to. I used the Glass Bot for a while but the setup and cutout process was time consuming compared to the KONG. Glass Bot was very clean, but it was also intensive on the setup. Like all wire tools, you have to be on top of your game. Breaking wire is a total pain in the ass, and cutting unintended moldings is simply unacceptable. So, it is definitely not a lick-and-stick solution. But it is fast and efficient. The other tool I like is the Diablo Milwaukee reciprocating tool. I had an Equalizer gun but this was way too much and I would often chip paint on the firewall with it. The Diablo is a little less HP, and offers a little more control.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Thanks Ben! I haven't personally used either of those tools so I appreciate your input.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
AGT30+

Post by AGT30+ »

I have a Equalizer Viper for wire or string. Great tool for any removal, especially for R+R work on small quarters. The new Raptor has a battery powered constant vacuum. Probably works great but it is "pricey"
CGExpressTX

Post by CGExpressTX »

Brent Deines wrote:It's been years since I purchased any windshield replacement tools so I am a little out of the loop. What are your favorite cutout tools and why? Are there any cool new auto glass tools you have purchased lately for windshield or door glass installation?

My Favorite new tool is the ProSet Tool for placing in a windshield ... kinda like a little buddy but way... way better
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Mattimeo, I moved your post into the thread in the water cooler you started back in January asking about the Fiber Fix adhesive. I moved it because that is not a windshield replacement tool, or even a windshield repair tool for that matter, so the water cooler is the appropriate forum for that type of post.

Please try to choose the appropriate forum and thread for your future posts to make it easier for members of this forum can find topics of interest easier.

Thanks!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

CGExpressTX wrote:
Brent Deines wrote:It's been years since I purchased any windshield replacement tools so I am a little out of the loop. What are your favorite cutout tools and why? Are there any cool new auto glass tools you have purchased lately for windshield or door glass installation?

My Favorite new tool is the ProSet Tool for placing in a windshield ... kinda like a little buddy but way... way better
Thanks for the post. I haven't used this this one either so I don't have a dog in the fight but after watching the video it looks like there is a lot of time spent on adjustments and you are attaching suction cups to the hood. I know there are a number of members of this forum that feel very stronlgy that you should never place anything on the hood of a customer's car, let alone putting the weight of a windshield on the hood. Have you ever had the ProSet Tool cause dents in the hood or have a customer freak out because you attached it to the hood of their $100,000 Mercedes?

What is it that you like better than the Little Buddy and other similar tools?

I don't replace any glass myself these days but I frequently talk with cutomers who are just getting started in the auto glass replacement business so I like to keep up with current trends.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

That ProSet tool looks terrifying! No way. I have an original Lil Buddy and it's not as great as some of the latest stuff, but it does the job just fine. No way am I suctioning something to a hood. Hope it works for those who have it.
CGExpressTX

Post by CGExpressTX »

it may look scary but trust and believe it is awesome
Jason Chan
Owner Car Glass Express
Denton Texas 76209
(940) 765-6168
Frisco Texas
(972) 275-9833
Toll Free
(877) 699-7788
http://www.CarGlassExpress.com