Pete Conv W/S Replacement

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
GlassGuy805

Pete Conv W/S Replacement

Post by GlassGuy805 »

Any suggestions on the easiest way to install a DW1037/36?
StarQuest

Re: Pete Conv W/S Replacement

Post by StarQuest »

GlassGuy805,

Could you be more descriptive, what's a Pete Conv?
glasssgod

Post by glasssgod »

Peterbilt conventional cab....These are bonded w/s's, glue-in (not gasket set) and can be time-consuming if you're a rookie. Should be self-evident how to install when you take a look.
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

Incapsulated or separate outside trim molding?
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

Haven't done one of these yet myself but looks like it's encapsulated. You'll probably require a power Equalizer cut out tool. Trying to use cold knife on this shield would be insane. (would take forever....plus some to cut out)
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

When replacing I'd suggest "V" notching applicator nossel tip on urethane tube and laying one heavy 1 1/4"-1 1/2" high bead around pinchwell (some techs prefer applying to glass and setting but I personally don't like that method) Don't be cheap with urethane! 2- 2 1/2 tubes required even on this split shield.

Good Luck:)
GlassGuy805

Post by GlassGuy805 »

A DW1037/36 (left and right) is an encapsulated W/S. It is designed to be roped in or hooked in. Due to Pete's design, it is like sticking a square peg in a round hole. If you have ever have done one ,you'll know what I'm talking about. Thanks for the replies
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

GlassGuy805,

You have me a little confused now. A encapsulated windshield is a windshield that has a bonded molding already manufactured onto the glass and will always require a urethane set. I thought you said it was a glue in and not a rope in? Guess I'll have to see one up close to comment on this further to understand what your describing. Like I already stated, haven't done one yet but am curious to look into it. Haven't found a shield to date that can't removed and replaced properly. Glad to hear you handled this one;)
GlassGuy805

Post by GlassGuy805 »

A DW1036/37 is indeed an encaspulated W/S. (Molding bonded to glass) It is NOT set in urethane adhesive. Its unlike any other W/S out there. While most rubber set W/Ss are pretty straight forward, this particular beast has a very stiff molding around it, making it very difficult to install without tearing molding.....or worse yet..getting the W/S into a bind and stressing the glass. This is definitely is not a W/S to sic a "rookie" on. In fact some shops won't touch them. While I have had success in installing them, they can be time consuming. Cold weather installs are nearly impossible without damaging molding or breaking glass. (Even with applying heat to molding)
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

GlassGuy805,

Thanks for sharing your info and experience. None of my fleet accounts to date have any Peterbilts in service. Everything else but no Peterbilts! Didn't mean to question you on this install but my 2005 Nags book calls for Urethane,Dam,Primer for DW1036-37 windshield replacement. It's not the Bible for glass replacement but I always reference it before giving out a quote. After reading your response I'll be sure to look at one of these first before giving out pricing;)

As far as cold weather replacements on trucks.....they're not much fun are they? I often charge $35-$40 more if they can't find a heated bay to work in during Michigan winter months. Hope you made some money on this one because it sounds like you earned it!

Have a good one:)