whats the difference..

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
new2thebiz

whats the difference..

Post by new2thebiz »

between oe and oem glass?
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: whats the difference..

Post by Brent Deines »

This is my understanding, but there is a lot of controversy over this so I maybe someone can explain it better, or correct me if I am in error.

OE stands for original equipment. Therefore if you purchase OE glass it should not only be produced by the same manufacturer, but should be exactly the same as the original glass that came in the vehicle. For instance, if you order a BMW windshield from the BMW dealer you should get OE glass that has the BMW logo on it, and should be made by the same manufacturer that made the windshield that the car was originally equipped with. Some glass shops will also supply OE glass, but others will not. It is almost always more expensive, but in theory it should fit better. This is very important for many high end vehicle owners.

OEM stands for original equipment manufacturer, which in my opinion should mean the same thing as OE, but has come to mean something entirely different in the auto glass industry. OEM now seems to mean aftermarket glass that was produced by a company who is an original equipment manufacturer for the vehicle that the glass is being installed in. Using the example I gave above, OEM glass may not have the BMW logo on it, and may not have been manufactured in the same plant. Sometimes the result is an improper fit, but aftermarket glass, even if it is made by an OEM company is more readily available and almost always less expensive.

To complicate matters more, many original equipment manufacturers now have glass made overseas by traditionally non-OE glass manufacturers. The OEM company provides the specifications and has their logo put on it, so most people assume it is OEM glass or even OE glass.

So does any of this matter to the consumer? That is a very heated debate, but I will give you my view based on my experience. Over the years the quality of the aftermarket glass, whether produced in the USA, Germany, or elsewhere, has gotten much better. Newer molds, tighter specifications, and more stringent quality control standards are helping aftermarket glass suppliers to compete very closely with OEM companies in terms of proper fit and quality. However, when I installed glass there were certain vehicles that I would only install OE glass in, and other vehicles that I would only install certain brands of aftermarket glass in. The reason I chose a particular brand was always due to my experience with proper fit and quality. The reason I chose OE glass was partially for fit and quality as I never had any problem with OE glass, but also because I knew that most people who drive a $50K plus vehicle will look for things like the logo being in the same spot, and the MFG name being identical to the glass being replaced. They are also willing to fork out the premium price that I had to charge. On the other hand, most people who drive less expensive vehicles are only concerned with quality and cost. The name on the glass means very little to them.

Some will argue that they only want to use American glass, but the reality is that even the American companies are not manufacturing glass offshore, or having it manufactured for them, so it's getting more and more difficult to distinguish the difference between the two.

In my opinion what should be of primary concern for consumers is that they find a glass company they can trust to explain the differences, and who will offer choices so the consumer can make an informed decision. Never however should a consumer choose a glass company strictly based on price, but unfortunately that happens more often than not, sometimes resulting in an improper installation and/or an inferior quality of glass. It's a buyer beware world we live in these days, so consumers have to do their homework or roll the dice and take their chances.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
new2thebiz

Post by new2thebiz »

as far as qaulity?
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Depends on who you talk to. Like I said, I did not always find the OE windshields to be of better quality than aftermarket windshields, but always found them to be at least as good, and never bad. In other words, they were always a safe bet for me. With aftermarket windshields it took a few years for me to learn which brands fit which vehicles best, and every time a new model was introduced you were taking your chances with aftermarket windshields.

I have to say though, that I installed more "OEM" aftermarket windshields by far than OE windshields, and there were only a handful of part numbers in which I felt one brand fit better or was of better quality. Today things are a little different because there is so much glass transported from China. I never used any of that and for the most part tried to always use the brand of glass that was installed from the factory. That used to mean it was not made in China, but that is no longer the case.

Someone else will have to speak to the quality of the Chinese glass as I have no first hand experience, and the people I have talked to about it have varying opinions.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
AGN

Post by AGN »

Quality is a funny issue in the AGR industry. You can get a particular brand glass one time and it will fit perfectly and look completely awesome. Then the next time you get that brand it sucks wind.

What I can tell you is that there are certain brands I have had "the most" luck with. Those brands are Pilkington, United Laminate, Guardian and if your after a cheaper but decent alternative, FYG. Hope that helps.

AGN
AGN

Post by AGN »

As far as the chinese glass goes...it has gotten a whole lot better then it used to be.

Years ago when I worked for Diamond Triumph Auto Glass they would buy the chinese stuff by the sea container load. It was BAD stuff back then...never fit right...always much thinner then the OE/OEMs...I had many all around bad experiences with chinese branded glass...especially when trying to fit it to a domestic model vehicle like a Ford or GM.

Flash forward to today...the chinese have become alot better at making auto glass. There are even some chinese branded parts that I would recommend over certain OEM brands. FYG for example produces a really good windshield.

AGN