Start-up Replacement Business

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
dmeister

Start-up Replacement Business

Post by dmeister »

I am considering adding Auto Glass Repalcement to my business. I have several customers that need their glass replaced because they can't be repaired. If anyone can direct me to a quality training facility that will provide me with the basic techniques and the proper tools I would greatly appreciate it.

FYI.....I understand their are alot of people saying that now is not a good time. I completely disagree. If you are taking care of your customers and doing the job professionally and promptly...your customer base will continue to grow. Even if the insurance companies are not paying like they use to that is ok.....THEY ARE STILL PAYING.....

Under promise and over deliver.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Start-up Replacement Business

Post by Brent Deines »

I couldn't agree with you more. When I got into the auto glass business in 1987 people tried to tell me that was a bad time as well, and they have been saying it ever since. Attitude leads to success and you certainly seem to have the right attitude.

I will caution you about one thing however. There are hundreds of different procedures that you will need to learn to be a successful auto glass replacement technician, and there is no way that a week or even a month long school will properly prepare you. When I sold my glass shop the new owners felt they knew enough to go it alone, but I had a year of supervised training before I went out on my own and still felt I was under prepared. My dad did start with no experience what so ever which was crazy in my opinion, but I'm pretty sure he would tell you it was no picnic for the first couple of years. I think you would be better off to find a well trained and reputable technician to work for you, at least until you are comfortable enough to tackle any vehicle with confidence.

As for tools, your local glass supplier will likely have some of the most popular ones in stock, and Equalizer Tools has just about everything including some starter kits for new technicians. http://www.equalizer.com/. The learning curve will be much faster if you don't skimp on the quantity or quality of your glass replacement tools. If you need the names of some auto glass distributors in your area give me a call. We have customers who distribute auto glass just about everywhere.

You can contact the NGA for training school information. I've never been to one so I cannot give you any qualified advice there. Good luck!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Auto-Glass-Atlanta

Re: Start-up Windshield Replacement Business

Post by Auto-Glass-Atlanta »

I would get your tools from equalizer. If you have any other questions concerning windshield replacement business, I run a windshield replacement and repair business in Atlanta.
glassservices

Post by glassservices »

Hi

I think in this modern world auto glass replacement business will grow up. It is a very fruitful business. I agree with your decision.

Any ways thanks a lot for sharing your information.

All the best.

Thanks
jhickman1
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by jhickman1 »

I know im a little late but I just read this post. I also do WSR only right now. I am wanting to add replacement. I get call all the time for replacements, far more than I get for repair. Some people say go for it and others say its alot more trouble and liability than what its worth. As for training, a school would be nice but I have sone family a few hours away that that have a fairly large full service auto glass company and will let me come work with them anytime.
Does anyone have any advice as far as stuff, businesses, or practices to stay away from? Thanks
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
edwardsmary

Post by edwardsmary »

It's good to enter in Windshield replacement window as this field can prove to be lucrative. However, it is also highly competitive.
For starting up your own business you'll need some on-the-job experience, a skilled staff and a business plan. You can go for Certification offered by the National Glass Association.